Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NEED HELP!

Old 09-19-2006, 09:32 PM

Default NEED HELP!

I AM A LIFE LONG DEER HUNTER BUT HAVE NEVER GOTTEN INTO BOWHUNTING. I AM LOOKING INTO BUYING A BOW BUT I AM WORKING WITH A TIGHT BUDGET. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT A COUPLE FRED BEAR BOWS BUT KNOW LITTLE ABOUT THEM. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INPUT ABOUT AFFORDABLE QUALITY BOWS.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:53 PM

Default RE: NEED HELP!

Go to your local shop and have them set you up.

The most important thing is to have it set up for you. If it fits you, you'll be happy.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Washington

Go to your local pro shop ( not Cabela's or Bass Pro ) your local mom & pop shop .
Most of the time they will set you up with a bow thats right for you and they can get it ready for to use it right away.
Most small private owend shops will have some type of payment plan to fit your budget.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

Try a PSE nova, I have one that I use as a spare. Great little bow that wont take you to the bank.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:43 PM

As the others have said, go to a pro shop. They may also have a selection of used bows and you may find a good one for little money.

If you want new, check out the Reflex Excursion. Very good bow for the money.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, everyone has given good advice. I am a big fan of quality used equipment as you can get in at a good price and still have nice stuff. I also recommend high quality accessories because sometimes they can make or break a setup. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Fork Horn

I just bought a Bear Element package fron Cabelas and it is a great bow. I didnt have a lot of money to spend either, but I think I got a great deal. It shoots fast, is easy to hold and groups great. It ruined two arrows on my first day of shooting because it was shooting such tight groups. Even at thirty yards I put two out of three arrows in the same hole at times.

The only thing I would say is take it somewhere else to put silencers and a stringloop on. I had Cabelas do it and was not happy at all with the work they did.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:53 PM

i agree with the guys above, go to your local bow shop, and let them set you up with a bow that fits you, because i bought a brand new parker from a bass pro shop, and they didnt even try to help....a smaller shop will work with you, either with payments or just picking the right bow for you

good luck on finding that right bow that makes you happy
Old 09-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Typical Buck

I just bought a Bear Element bow for my son as well, and it really appears to be a good bow. It is relatively lightweight. It is really quiet. And even though it's set at 50# for my son, I am extremely pleased with how it throws an arrow down range. I just purchased the bow itself for $299. I already had a WB rest, Trophy Ridge sight, and then I just picked up a Kwikee quiver to finish it up. He has never shot a bow before and he was already putting arrows in the zone at 15 yards. I was impressed.

As the others have also stated above...make sure you get the bow set-up for you. This is extremely important as it will determine your overall success and your ease of getting it tuned in. Good luck!!