Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 arrow fletching??? >

arrow fletching???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

arrow fletching???

Old 09-19-2006, 06:05 PM

Default arrow fletching???

I would like to re-fletch my arrows and was wondering about the best fletching tool and wheather to go straight or right helical?? what are the benifits of each? any info would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance
krahbldr
Old 09-19-2006, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: arrow fletching???

I use the Arizona EZ Fletcher b/c it's easy and works great. It's about $40 and you can do one arrow at a time. I had one that put them on straight and one that put them on right helical and you DO NOT want to put them on straight. It was like throwing a screw ball. I guess it would not spin as good if you put them on straight.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

As noted above, I've heard good reviews from the Arizona... That being said, if you want a fletching jig you can pass down to your grandkids, splurge and get the Bitzenburger. I started with a straight clamp, and would use it to fletch offset. I've since bought a right helical, as I shoot fallaways on both my BowTechs.

Prevailing wisdom says that the tighter helical you can put on your arrows (while still maintaining fletch contact with the shaft), the faster your arrows spin; that translates into more control in steering a broadhead.

I fletch right helical in an attempt to keep my field points from unscrewing every time I shoot into my bag target, though I couldn't swear it does any good, as I'm constantly re-tightening them during practice sessions. Maybe left helical would be a lot worse.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:52 PM

Greg, actually I think the THEORY states that left helical will prevent them from loosening...If the arrow is spinning left,that's going opposite the threads...I've never found this to actually benefit though. The best I've found to keep them tight is a dab of bowstring wax.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

mobow, Gregs right, right spin keeps the points tight, the head spins right(clockwise) to screw into the arrow, if you hold the head, the arrow is spun right(clockwise) to tighten the head.

However, Offset will do the same as helical and a straight clamp with the ability to either fletch straight or offset is more versatile than a helical clamp. If you go with a Bitz, which I too feel is the best on the market, go with a straight clamp and offset as hard as your rest and arrow allows you.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you shoot a drop away, go with helical. If you want the best jig, get a bitz. If you get one used, you can save some $$, they last forever. I would go right helical, just for the field point thing. Greg, Try putting a little bowstring wax on the threads of your field points, that helps keep them from loosening.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:03 PM

I use the Arizona EZ Fletcher right hel. It's great I use it all the time
Old 09-19-2006, 08:04 PM

OK, OK.....I've been wrong before..it happens...what can I say..? [8D]

Bow string wax still works better, though.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Remember this little rule, mobow: Righty tighty, lefty loosey! [8D]

Thanks for the tip on the wax, though... I'll try that the next time I feel up to shooting!
Old 09-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Remember this little rule, mobow: Righty tighty, lefty loosey! [8D]

Thanks for the tip on the wax, though... I'll try that the next time I feel up to shooting!
Agreed. the string wax is an excellent idea, think I'll try it too. Get better soon Greg.

Quick Reply: arrow fletching???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.