Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Entering/Exiting Your Tree Stand. A Work-Out?? >

Entering/Exiting Your Tree Stand. A Work-Out??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Entering/Exiting Your Tree Stand. A Work-Out??

Old 09-19-2006, 04:21 PM

Default Entering/Exiting Your Tree Stand. A Work-Out??

Hi there,

I've been using a climbing tree stand for a few years now. I've tried 3 different models, and I have the same problem with all of them. Here's the scenario....

I wrap the cables around the base of the tree and try to estimate the proper length adjustment for the circumfrence of the tree at hunting height. I then climb into the stand and buckle my boots onto the platform. Next, my harness gets attached to the tree a few feet above me. Then I start climbing. It's 6:00am and the temperature is in the upper 60s. I get to the desired height and I notice that I'm suddenly a little warmer than when I started climbing. Natural, right? Of course it is. Now I have to secure various straps and buckles, pull here, tighten there. Make sure the platform is level, make sure my harness is secured properly etc. I guess my biggest problem is unhooking my boots from the platform and securing the platform to the tree, then to the seat-portion of the stand. Bending over and reaching down like that is a helluva workout for me. Anyhow, by the time I'm sitting comfortably in my stand, I'm completely drenched in persperation. Mind you, my bow and backpack are still at the base of the tree, waiting to be pulled up. By the time everything is said and down, I'm sweating and my heart is racing. Is this normal?? I'm in good physical shape. 5'10", 175lbs. I work in construction and stay fit. I just don't like the idea of working up that kind of sweat before it's even light enough to shoot! Is there something I'm missing here? Is there a technique so using a climber that's less demanding? Reading over what I just wrote makes me chuckle a little...it sounds weird.

My brother is having a similar problem, only he's using a stick ladder and a hang-on stand. It takes him quite a while to get everything set-up, at the end of which he's sweating like crazy. His biggest problem is attaching the stand to the tree. He's secures himself to the tree, and needs one more hand to balance himself as he reaches around the tree to attach the stand. But he needs a third arm to do this lol. I stood below and watched him struggle with it for nearly 40 minutes before finally getting it hooked up. Once attached and in place, both our stands are comfortable and stable, but getting to that point is such a hassle. We're both thinking about ditching the stands and investing in some good Ground Blinds...but I fear that we're giving up a lot of opertunity if we stop hunting from an elevated position. Guys, any help or advice would be greatly appritiated. I'm not sure I can take another season climbing into and out of a tree with sweat dripping off of me.

Regards,
Axel
Old 09-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Entering/Exiting Your Tree Stand. A Work-Out??

I've been there & know exactly what you are talking about.

Oneway around it is to hunt from lock-ons, ladder stands, tri-pods that are already in place. If you can't leave the stand in place then you're gonna sweat sooner or later.

In the same scenario you described I've had deer& coyote's come in to see what all the commotion is about while my bow is still on the ground. Now pulling the bow up is the second thing I do after hooking up the harness around the tree properly.

When I do use fixed stands the deer seem to learn where they are real quick so it's best to only hunt them when the wind & weather is perfect (sparingly). But when everything is right it is so sweet to just walk on in & hop up with out breaking a sweat.

BTW, I usually give myself a water bottle bath over the head and let it run down my stomach & back to help remove the heat built up during the climb.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

I've had the same problem here too, only I'm in Iowa and breaking a sweat when its 20 degrees outside is something you can't do if you want to sit long in a stand. So what I do is leave as much clothing as you can at the base of the tree, jacket etc, in my case that helps you guys might not be wearing as much in in warmer climates. Then I honestly may take a good half hour to 45 mins to get set. I go in extra early just for this and give myself an hour normally. Climb a couple steps up with a climber of course, rest, a couple more rest, etc., get to the top rest, secure the stand rest, then raise the bow up. It seems to work alright, it atleast keeps the sweat to a minimum.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best option is to set your stands up before the season.

The next best thing IMO for being lightweight, silent, portable, and quick to set up is a set of lone wolf sticks with a Trophyline Tree Saddle. With this setup you wear your "treestand" into the woods like a safety harness. The lone wolf sticks get you up the tree very quickly (one strap per 3 steps). Once your up there, just tie the tree saddle belt around the tree, clip it onto thecaribiner clip,and you're ready to hunt. You can hunt in any tree that can hold your weight and it's very lightweight (7 lbs for the climbing sticks, 2.5 pounds for the Tree Saddle). I can be up and hunting in about 5 minutes with this setup. It's very easy and no sweating.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:16 PM

How do you like that tree saddle? I saw that thing but wasn't too sure about it...anyway, I use a climber also....the best way I have found, as stated before, is to really just take your time....give yourself more time so you don't feel rushed...then you will relax more and not sweat as much...I take my time...I know it's going to take a while....dress down until you get in the stand...try using the climbing stirrups..made by Summit....I love them, no more fumbling with straps around your feet...less bending down...that's the only way I have found to work.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

partsjay,

I like the treesaddle alot for public land hunting where I can't (or won't) leave a fixed treestand in the tree. If you like to walk deep into the woods to get away from other hunters they can't be beat. They're also nice in spots where deer could come from any direction. Other plusses:

1. Nobody can hunt your tree when you're not there because there's no stand to sit in.
2. You can shoot 360 degrees around the tree silently.
3. There is a built in climbing belt for use while climbing / descending.
4. They very useful for hanging regular treestands because you have both hands free to work.
5. Extremely lightweight(2 pounds - you don't even know you've got it on when you're walking).
6. Fairly comfortable. You can adjust positions (ie sitting or standing). I've slept many hours in mine before daylight.
7.It's harder for deer to spot youbecause youface the tree and you can hidebehind the tree to stay out of sight until you're ready to shoot.
8. You can hunt in any tree, not just straight trees with no limbs.

Now the drawbacks (just being honest):
1.You have to practice shootingfrom the tree saddle (not really a drawback).
2. Not quite as comfortable as a big cushy climber (but more versatile)
3. A little pricey ($200). However, if you compare that to the priceof a climber it's reasonable. Ihave six trees set up to hunt with strap on steps. This is actually cheaper than buying six fixed stands.
4. You still gotta have a way to get up into the tree - I prefer Lone Wolf sticks for speed and Ameristep strap on steps for ultimate mobility since they roll up into my fanny pack (they do take a longer to set up though).

Hope this helps.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes, sweating can be an issue if you don't plan for it. I use a Loggy one piece climber. I have yet to see a better stand on the market. If your in shape, then getting up the tree is no issue. You plan on dressing light, carry your back pack on your back and pull your bow up. It's that simple. You don't have to sprint up the tree, you can take your time. I took 20mins once because I had a small group come up on me as I was climbing. It was easy to slide around the tree and keep out of their sight. They walk right underneath me while I was still climbing.

The saddle? Sorry, first off it's$150 too expensive for what it takes to bring tomarket and build. How much more do you spend on the sticks? Two, it may work for the ocaisional deer coming by but what happens when thereare 12 or more around the tree.How do youwork your way 360 around the tree with a bunch of deerall around? Do you ever kick bark down the tree?

I will state, I've never tried it but there are issues in my mind.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:58 PM

well i have been hunting from a climber for about 4 years now and never really had this problem but im stilljust and 18 year old kid so that might have something to do with it. My old climber sucked but i just got a new gorilla climber and its great. all the straps are built in and climbing is easy. is your stand a stand up sit down type? both of mine are and i try to do all the hooking up to the tree stuff while im sitting and it makes it easier. i get the base as close as possible to the seat part so i can secure it to the tree while sitting and i get my harness on and bow up while sitting.then i adjust the seat a little to where its comfy, secure it, and im ready to hunt. hope this helps.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Site Buck Guru

Most important of all..... THE AIR IS THINNER THE HIGHER YOU GO...[:-]
Old 09-19-2006, 09:23 PM

I just tell myself to settle down. Do everything slow and wear very few clothes carry the clothes that will keep you warm. I freeze on the way to my stand!! I'm 6'2 150Ibs I think if I weighed much more I'd stay on the ground haha. I don't knowhow the big guys do it.

Quick Reply: Entering/Exiting Your Tree Stand. A Work-Out??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.