Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need some quck, realtime help, Arrowed an elk... >

Need some quck, realtime help, Arrowed an elk...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need some quck, realtime help, Arrowed an elk...

Old 09-18-2006, 03:48 PM

Default RE: Need some quck, realtime help, Arrowed an elk...

yeah i was just throwing out an idea with the liver comment, the arrow wasn't that far back but the blood isn't really giving away any clues. The animal took off but not too fast so i couldn't get a look at it, the shot was true as far asi could tell which is the baffling part, maybe i did catch a brisket, it was uphill so the arrow could be an inch or slightly morelower than the aim point and where I saw the arrow fly into. I will go get some hydrogen peroxide and a spray bottle and head back up in a few minutes. hopefully I can find it near my last tagged spot.

Would a dog be of any help, I do have a 4 year old labrador who i always take hiking and has a nose like no other. He has jumped elk on occasion before i knew they were near. And can blind retrieve.

Would you take him? Or do you think he would be more apt to get in the way?
Old 09-18-2006, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cheque your local laws on useing a dog, its illegal here in montana to use one for trailing.
Whats the temps there and how much more time do you have?
Stay on it and good luck.

Bobby
Old 09-18-2006, 04:11 PM

the temps dropped into the 50's for high, but in the shadows or tree'd areas I have been seeing my breath all weekend, so it's been pretty cold, thank god. I will check on the dog rule, i live in n.idaho btw. But I got the peroxide so i have about 5 hours til dark, and then i have some heavy duty spotlights and i will work tonight if need be, and i don't reallyeven have to go to school tomorrow so i can hit it in the morning, i won't stop until i find this sucker.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why don't you get off the dang computer and you won't need spot lights, come on lets get it, time is running out dude.

Bobby
Old 09-18-2006, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well said Bobby! Get out there and find her!
Old 09-18-2006, 10:35 PM

If you have a propane lantern take it with you to trail instead of the flashlight. Propane will make the phosporus in the blood glow in the dark. Every little speck will show up really well. Much easier trailing than using flashlight alone. Hopefully it is not too late to have not dry blood as this trick only works when the blood trail is fresh.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:51 AM

Hi; First off, congrats on your nice cow...you got some serious good eating there. Lots of folks hunt horns....but it all taste the same to me.... It sounds like it has been at least 24 hours since you shot the animal so here's what I'd be doing.....park where you did before you made the shot and just get out of your truck with a cup of coffee in your hands and break out the best pair of binoculars or spotting scope you have. then start looking for scavenger birds flying high in the sky....if the animal is down the birds will know exactly where it is and be circling the area ready for that easy meal. I have found quite a few this way...both deer and elk. Especially if you have turkey buzzards in the area you're hunting. Hope this helps you out and good luck finding her cause real soon now the meat will start turning and that would be a total shame........
Old 09-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

well? just curious!
Old 09-19-2006, 09:19 PM
Typical Buck

Along the same lines as Metalback: Listen for a bunch of flies, they'll find her before the buzzards do.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:06 PM

As for the dog idea yes it does work well if it is legal in your area. Keep the dog on a leash though so it does not trample all over the blood trail aimlessly and also if the elk is not dead the dog will chase it further. I have arrowed several elk in the liver and it is always not what you expect. Sometimes the blood is really dark like it should be but i have had cases where the blood was brighter also. All the elk i ever liver shot had one thing in common they all would hunch up every few steps. Sometimes they would just stand there, shake and drop and other times go for an hour or so. It is really difficult to tell until the animal is found. The most important thing at the moment is that you get it, csi can take place later.

Quick Reply: Need some quck, realtime help, Arrowed an elk...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.