Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What is your idea of a good solid shooter buck? >

What is your idea of a good solid shooter buck?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is your idea of a good solid shooter buck?

Old 09-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What is your idea of a good solid shooter buck?

ORIGINAL: Handles

Fillae, if it is all about meat in the freezer then again why shoot a buck? As it has been said "you can't eat the horns". Granted if you are in an area where there are few deer, and herd growth is the main goal, then shooting a buck is the best decision. Your state or area has a 4pt rule, so you follow that. What if there was no restriction on antler size from the government or it was dropped, would you stay with the 4pt per side, or something more or less than that? Does the government control all of your decisions?
I have no problem with shooting does. I actually shoot the first legal deer that walks by to get meat in the freezer. If it's an immature buck, so be it. Like I said, it's about the meat. Since we have a 4pt rule in my county, I have had to pass on immature bucks. If I were a landowner and had the ability to manage the herd, I might hunt for antlers instead. As it is, I hunt on a lease with a number of other guys. You pass on a legal buck, then next guy won't. Not everyone is a trophy hunter.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Any thick bodied deer that will put lots of meat in the freezer. Points dont matter.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:00 PM

For me I am willing to wait for a buck that is at least 3.5 yrs old but that is only because I have already killed a couple 2.5 yr olds, but I won't force or hold anyone to my standards because a trophy deer is in the eyes of the beholder.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first deer of the year has to have a heartbeat, and be within range. The lighter hte better...less of a drag. I liek to put meat in the freezer right off the bat. In PA, I shoot the first legal buck I see. In WV, i shoot the first deer I see, then wait out for a 3.5 year old...125+. Meat first, then antlers.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

a mature buck(to me 3.5 or more)...late in the season i will take any mature deer with my either sex bow tag. I will be honest it would take an absolute brute for me to lower the boom on befor november, i enjoy hunting too much. score? sure i think about it but i will take a 130" 3.5 year old and always pass a 140" deer if i think it is 2.5 years old. but please, to each his own.