Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thermacell

Old 09-18-2006, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Thermacell

I've owned a Thermacell now going on two seasons and I've never gotten the opportunity to use it. This was the first weekend where the mosquitos in my area were insane. After getting all bit up I whipped out the Thermacell within about a minute they stopped completely. Not even one of them. My buddy who was about 20 yards away was completely covered in them. As a test he stayed still and I got close. It took a couple of minutes but they all took off. I kept the thermacell in my back pocket and it just kept them away.

We were getting in and out of the truck that day quite a bit and I forgot it later that day and I ended up regretting it. I was back to being bitten.

The nicest thing about it is that you don't even have to hear the mosquitos buzzing around because they just stay away.

The only down side to this thing is the cost.

It really does what it says it does.

Tom
Old 09-18-2006, 06:19 AM

Default RE: Thermacell

If you don't lay it flat it will start to smoke. The thermacell is supposed to lie flat on its back when in use. Not made to carry around I don't think
Old 09-18-2006, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did feel the warmth on my back but it worked. I will test it out some more.

Also I saw vapor rising from it even while flat but since it was in my back pocket I don't know if it was smoking while verticle.

Tom
Old 09-18-2006, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

I know I do love mine. I do agree that the "Matt" needs to last a little longer. I was skeptical when I first bought it so opted for the cheaper model that requires you to manually light it. That is a pain in the rump... but it still works fine.

I would highly reccomend them...
Old 09-18-2006, 10:56 AM

Cost too high? Do the math.
3 mats + 1 canister = 12 hours for about $6

Thats about 50 cents an hour I'll pay that anyday so I can sit still and quiet in the stand I've worked so hard to set-up. The ThermaCell is the number 3 thing on my list. Bow, release, THERMACELL!!!!

If you haven't tried it yet, trust me. It is worth it's weight in gold. For all the scent skeptics. I had 2 deer walk within 10 yards of my stand yesterday with no signs of spooking. One even completely circled my tree!