Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 **Annual "Take Quality Pictures...ones to be PROUD of!!"** >

**Annual "Take Quality Pictures...ones to be PROUD of!!"**

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

**Annual "Take Quality Pictures...ones to be PROUD of!!"**

Old 09-17-2006, 05:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default **Annual "Take Quality Pictures...ones to be PROUD of!!"**

“Take Pictures to be Proud of!” thread. 2006-2007 edition.

Not sure if this is the 6th or 7th go-around for this topic but I feel it important each year to bring the ideas and examples outlined within to our members. The topic itself may seem trivial or even silly but it's a fact that how we present ourselves and our lifestyle to the general public is an important consideration to be made before we start snapping those pictures.
We will alsobe creating images in the proccess that we will be proud of and will look upon again again long after the hunt has ended.
This topic is alsoespecially relevant forHNI given that wehave established the Huntingnet Bowhunting Deer Contest as a yearly tradition, and the need for “Photographic Evidence” in that contest.
At the end I willinclude a recent example of how I like to present the outcome of a successful hunt.

Here ya go!:

You have that animal you worked so hard for, dreamed of all offseason ..….it may very well be an animal of a lifetime in your hands!

What you do next will decide how well that memory will be replayed and preserved for years to come.

You’ve all seen them………and if you don’t hate them I’d be shocked. You know what I’m talking about: Tongue hanging out, laying lifeless in the back of a pick-up truck……..or the absolute most horrible of them all,(insert Psycho shower scene music here) hanging by its neck from the garage rafters!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh!!
What are you doing!
A little fore thought, a small amount of time and some creativity will help you to take pictures that you will be proud to show anyone, ones that will do the moment justice and ABOVE ALL ELSE honor the spirit of the animal you just harvested.

I won’t call these the “Be all End All” guidelines for how to take pictures (I’m NOT a professional photographer by any means) but you can rest assured that if you eliminate most of the things you SHOULDN’T do ,chances are you will be much happier when you get that film back from 1hr photo (cause’ ya know none of us can wait days for developing!)

1. Ok, I know we’re not all John D. Rockafeller……..cameras are expensive plain and simple. You can get as crazy as you want with expensive super telephoto/digital high resolution etc. etc., or you can get by with some simple and inexpensive disposable options. The main thing to remember is this……The best pictures are those taken on the spot, in the woods and fields where the animal lived and died. They not only add needed scenery to a picture but they also help to tell the story as well.
Several factors will determine if this in the field photography can or will happen…….if you have a buddy to help take the pictures you can at minimum keep a decent disposable camera in your day pack. Very little added weight or space taken.
Obviously if you are by yourself you’ll need a “REAL” camera with an automatic shutter feature. There is a company (Savage I think?) that makes a great little cameral tri-pod that uses arrows for the legs by fitting your nocks into slots on the tri-pod. Works GREAT!
In any event do your best to have a camera (with a flash) handy. You can’t take a picture without SOMETHING!

2. Don’t be afraid to take a BUNCH of pictures…….usually you’ll know if you’ve
taken enough when your hunting buddy starts to complain or starts calling you “Miss America” . Whatever you do, absolutely positively DON’T stop after one or 2 pictures…….blow an entire roll if you have to . I have seen too many instances where 24 pictures are taken and maybe 1 or 2 come out truly good.

3. Posing the animal is sort of an art form in itself…….you want the animal to look tasteful, and quite frankly, alive. Try to avoid the “Overhead” airplane shots. Have your buddy get down eye level, get close get far , straight on, quartering, hunter sitting, hold it this way, that way………basically be creative. Check out the poses in the hunting magazines. Find one you really like, remember it and try to duplicate it with your own animal.

4. Compose the picture…..think about what is behind the shot and how it will play into the picture. If there is a nice bit of early morning sun hitting the forest floor only a few feet away, by all means get the animal into it. If there is a particularly nice tree etc get it in the picture. Remove all foreign debris like twigs, weeds etc from sticking up in front of the shot. Nothing worse than getting the pictures back and the camera focused on and flashed out a big fat weed a foot from the lens!

5. Take the pictures BEFORE the animal is dressed! It will look fuller, and more alive. Speaking of alive, sounds extreme, but you might want to invest in a set of taxidermist eyes. It doesn’t take long for a dead deer (or whatever) to get a “Dead” eye. You can easily slip these fake eyes into place and not only will you have nice lifelike eyes, but no “Eye Shine” from the flash.

6. Wipe off all blood, stick the tongue back in or simply cut it off,and for God’s Sake if the arrow is still in the animal REMOVE IT. I know some of you are thinking……” I’m not going to worry about what other people think” Well frankly you should. Being able to proudly show a non-hunter a tastefully done picture showing how proud you are of that animal…….honoring the animal will go a lot farther than a bloody deer hanging from its neck I can guarantee you that! A little Windex or water sprayed around the mouth and wiped clean will make a much better and professional looking picture.

Another tip that was recently showed to me: All lung shot animals will bleed from the nose and mouth and will continue to ooze blood from these openings long after the recovery. After you clean up the muzzle area roll up some paper towel pieces and tuck them back into the nostrils out of sight and another wad into the back of the mouth. These will saok up residual blood and prevent any new blood from staining the cleaned up face. (Thanks Billy in WY for that tip)

7. SMILE!!!!! Guess what? You are having a good time, you’re not getting your picture taken for “Soldier of Fortune” magazine.

8. Get the Hat out of your eyes……yeah we want to see you too.(Some of you anyway[:'(])

9. Make sure that you get the bow in the picture. Again helps to tell the story (Also a requirement for the Contest)

10. Put something solid under the deer’s chest cavity to prop it up a bit…….will give a much fuller looking animal. When an animal is lying down you don’t realize it but it is on a very near parallel angle to the ground. Bringing the chest up and out a bit will do wonders. Also try tucking the legs into a “Bedded” position under the animal. Looks very lifelike.

11. Smooth back any funky hair…….slick it back with your hand...DETAILS!.

12. Use your flash to fill shadows. Even if you think its light enough.

13. Get close…….many many many times I’ve seen people THINK that they are going to get what they see in that viewfinder and they wind up with a picture that looks much farther away. Don’t be afraid to take some shots from what you think is “Too Close”

14. Digital Cameras are GREAT…….and as technology gets better and better you are starting to see prices on very good ones come down considerably. Nothing like the instant gratification and feedback of a digital. You don’t like a shot, simply erase it and try again. If you go this route, remember to save the pictures to a DISC! You lose your computer, you lose your memories. (I want to ammend this entry as last year someone mentioned a good point........unless it's a blatant bad shot like you accidentally took a picture of your foot or the skydon't delete the picture.....sometimes those candid unplanned shots are the best ! In any event Digital cameras give you that OPTION.)

15. The animal is NOT a carnival ride so don’t even dream of sitting on it’s back! This even looks tacky for the truly big animals like Elk and Moose.

16. Don’t pull a “Bill Dance” and stretch your arms out to the camera to make your 13” 8pt look like the “Jordan Buck”! Nobody is buying it and we want to see the true animal! Be proud of what it is.

17. Pick-up beds are a big pet peeve of mine……..especially since most of the time it involves just the animal looking VERY dead, or since there is no room you wind up with “Joe Hunter” riding bareback. YUCK!!!! I find no excuse for this one except a lack of really caring or laziness. If you can’t get the animal’s picture taken in the woods for whatever reason, that’s understandable. If that's the case, drive to a Park or a friend’s house with some trees…... Just make it somewhere in a natural setting, remember the above tips and do your best to make it look lifelike! ( NO the garage floor next to the can of Kerosene and your spare tire doesn’t count as a natural setting!)

18. Get your hunting partner in the picture! He’s your buddy……..(your now jealous buddy!), but your buddy nonetheless, and when the 2 of you relive the hunt though the pictures they will mean much more to you

19. Pass it down……..sorry to remind everyone, but we are all going to pass onto the big hunting ground in the sky someday. Leave something behind for your kids to show your love of the sport in a way they will be proud of! Is there anything better than to imagine your grandkids sitting around a fireplace paging thru “Grandpas” old hunting album and remembering the hunts and the man behind them. Everybody now……….Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

That should do it, if anyone is still awake!
I know this isn’t the “Bible” of how hunting pics should be taken…..it’s not meant to be. I don’t know many of the technical aspects of photography, so what I have listed here I have figured out through trial and error, common sense and personal aesthetics, but I GUARANTEE that if you follow even a few of them your pictures and memories of a cherished moment in your life will improve for the better.
I CHALLENGE everyone to take the best pictures that they are capable of, ones to be proud of, to look at again and again with a smile………And above all else to HONOR THE ANIMAL.

And when you take that “Perfect Picture” , the one you can’t stop staring at……if you haven't considered this topic before you'll thank me.

Please feel free to add your own examples of what you consider "good" harvest photos to this thread( compare them to the list above and see how many tips you used and maybe COULD HAVE used to make your picture better)
Old 09-17-2006, 05:24 PM

Default RE: **Annual "Take Quality Pictures...ones to be PROUD of!!"**

Great post, as usual Matt. I know a lot of us have been looking forward to it this year! Your pictures from your recent antelope hunt are definitely a fine example of good photography.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ah yes Matt, I'm glad your home, that was a great hunt, congrats again and this is a great read. We've been waiting on it.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:04 PM

And when you take that “Perfect Picture” , the one you can’t stop staring at……if you haven't considered this topic before you'll thank me.
I read your article last year and started taking pics like the ones you described.Everyone comments on how nice my pics look and they can't believe they are all self pics.

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2006, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Matt, once again, a great job. I hope people take these pointers to heart. Sometimes my buddy and I will literally drag his deer (because I can't seem to shoot any) back out to the woods just to take pictures. Sometimes I can't always be there at the time it was shot, so the next day...out we go.

Dude, every year this thing seems to get a little better. And some of the suggestions came from really intelligent people . I think you should seriouslly think about submitting an article to some deer hunting magazines with these pointers in it. You may be able to get it published and help out that many more people.

One other quickee guys...Matt brought up the tripod using arrows. Well I came across this neat little item a couple of months ago.

The Pod, it is a portable camera stand. It is like a miniature bean bag you can screw into your camera. You can pick them up for under 20 bucks.

http://www.thepod.ca/home.html
Old 09-18-2006, 06:38 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-22-2006, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is a picture of my buddy Frank from our recent antelope hunt:
It's another example of a picture that really tells the tale.......it's also a built in "Tip". Don't take all of your pictures withthe successful hunterlooking into the camera. These "Admiration" shots can really show the "moment" very well.
This picture wasn't staged.....I just didn't tell Frank that I was taking a picture at that moment and WALLA! Great candid moment.
(Of course you can pose the hunter this way and it really does add something to a string of pictures.)

Please feel free to add your own examples of what you consider "good" harvest photos to this thread( compare them to the list above and see how many tips you used and maybe COULD HAVE used to make your picture better)

Old 09-23-2006, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

A little fore thought, a small amount of time and some creativity will help you to take pictures that you will be proud to show anyone, ones that will do the moment justice and ABOVE ALL ELSE honor the spirit of the animal you just harvested
Awesome job on the tips.
I for one have been slowly trying to get my buddies to take better pics for years. I enjoy good quality photos and you did an awesome job. Thanks for the post.

Here is one of me and my buddy Brian/cameraman.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heres one I had to take myself using the timer on my digital camera... Should have wiped some of the blood off her face but not too bad considering!

Old 09-27-2006, 06:55 AM

Default RE: [Deleted]

I keep getting the "feature disabled" error using "Post Reply" - not sure what's up with that.

Little help: I only know one pose that looks good with turkeys - the flat out, wings pulled out, hunter behind holding the fan up. Anyone have ideas of other poses that look good?

Quick Reply: **Annual "Take Quality Pictures...ones to be PROUD of!!"**

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.