Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 An Amazing WI Opener (and 2nd day!) >

An Amazing WI Opener (and 2nd day!)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

An Amazing WI Opener (and 2nd day!)

Old 09-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default An Amazing WI Opener (and 2nd day!)

I went out to my stand for a few hours this morning and only saw a few squirrels, so i called it quits about 930 and headed home for some pb&j and mens channel. At about 1 i headed back out for some squirrel huntin b4 i hit the bowstand again at 4. of course now that i had the pellet gun i didnt see any squirrels, but once i put that away and was in my stand at 4 with my bow, within the first minute there was a squirrel stompin around behind my stand. This is where it starts to get good. About 5 minutes after i got settled in i had a nice lil button buck come in and stand there at 20 yards, but i decided not to shoot for a couple reasons; he was a button buck, could have had momma with him (found out he didnt), i could still see his spots faintly. he didnt even notice my salt block that was rubbed down w/ an apple for extra attractant, and when he got about 30 yards away i used The Lil Can and he turned around and came in to about 7 yards before he figured somethin was up and trotted off across the foodplot. then after about 2 hrs of nothin, 3 big toms came cluckin in to the foodplot and stuck around for a few minutes. about 20 minutes later i had a hen turkey run across the foodplot like she was on a mission. from about 600-630 i heard probbly a half-dozen or so turkeys fly up into trees. Then at about 715 i called it quits again, pleased with the days events, and as i stepped out of the woods intoa small field behind my aunt's house (where i hunt) there stood 2 big does and 2 fawns under the apple trees behind her house. they took off, but stopped on the edge of the field about 50 yards away as if to say "haha too far for u!" so i shrugged my shoulders and decided maybe i should hunt from the back porch when i go back tomorrow evening. thanks for reading, good luck on the rest of all your seasons.

2ND DAY... well i went out again today, and sat in my stand from about 430-550 without seeing anything. At about 550 i headed back to my car and grabbed a couple pears from under the tree for a quick snack before i went back out and hit the real hot spot. after eating, i set up within range of the same apple trees from yesterday. everything was set, wind in my face coming from the direction the deer should be coming from, and i had a broken willow branch for a lil cover, but other than that i was basically standing next to a picket fence. i stood there the whole time so i had 1 less motion to make when the deer finally came in. well about 7 o clock the wind switched and started blowin from behind me right at the woods where the deer should come from, and i thought the hunt was over, but after standing there for an hr i wasnt about to leave 20 min before dark, so i stuck it out. low and behold, right at 720 i suddenly saw 2 yearlings come running in and start gobbling up the apples. i was both elated to finally see something, but slightly disappointed it wasnt the adult does i saw last night. but that thought didnt last long as they suddenly stopped and looked over to the woods and 1 by 1 the 4 deer i saw last night trotting right to the apples. by now it was probbly 721 and already borderline too dark to hunt, so as soon as the adult does got within range i drew back and went to put the pin behind her shoulder, and i couldnt see anything through my site, it was defenitely too dark. so of course i didnt shoot, and the group of 4 took off for the woods, and the first 2 yearlings just sat there eating the whole time, probbly about 3 minutes until finally i gave up waiting and just walked away. it defenitely a success in my book though cuz now i know where the deer are coming from, and after a letting them settle down a couple days i'll go back wednesday and try to connect. Sorry my stories are so long, i just get caught up in the moment and want you to feel the excitement i do when im out there. this is the last time i'll post about not getting deer, kinda feels like im wasting your time, but thanks again for reading.

Schobs
Old 09-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: An Amazing WI Opener!

Nice job on your opener. you seen a hek of alot more than me! i sat from 6 this morning till 9:30 and then from 4 to 7:30 and never seen a deer. But of course i seen a bear this morning and tonight. That was the worst opener i've had before. Good luck to all of you reading this. Hope you have some better luck than me lol.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nothing by the like s of deer, only a flock of about 25 Turkeys! Good luck!
Old 09-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Typical Buck

Got to watch two fawns yesterday afternoon and this evening had a spike and two does walking into perfect range...was going to let the spike walk and take a doe when a "tree rat" jumped from one tree to another knocked off a bunch of bark and spooked all three and they ran off. Oh well, it's the second day with lots of season left.
Best of luck to all.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love this post. You didn't kill a deer, but you had an amazing hunt. That's what hunting is all about. I feel sorry for people who only consider it a success if they kill a nice rack.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I couldn't sit in the morning because my son played football. I was able to sit tonight and in the last 20 minutes before closing, I saw eleven does and fawns and one spike. A couple of the baldys came under my stand. The best part was they went over about 50 yards and walked in front of my Cuddeback. I could see the flash going off. 5 minutes later here comes 2 coyotes on their trail and the smaller of the yotes ran like hell toward the deer and scattered them pretty good. It was a great hunt, although pretty warm and REALLY windy!
Old 09-16-2006, 09:55 PM

i had to work all day 630-630 so i couldnt get out. tomorrow will be my opener and im excited.

Old 09-16-2006, 09:57 PM

so today was awesome[:@]. i got out there around 6 stayed til 10 and saw nothing[&:]. then i hung a stand and hunted that in the evening and saw nothing[:@] at least it was really hot and really really really really windy. but its ok. hopefully tomorrow is better.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wish I could hunt right now. You guys are really lucky. Oct 1 is our opener.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:04 AM

well saw no deer today. but i saw 4 racoons 4 turkeys and a fox. also around 500 cowbirds landed in the oak my stand is in and started jumping all over getting thousands of acorns to fall on me. the mosquitos are terrible. one of them even got in my eye. going to get a thermacell today. hunting honkers tonight. i also put up a trail cam i just got.

Quick Reply: An Amazing WI Opener (and 2nd day!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.