Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

White Oaks

Old 09-16-2006, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default White Oaks

evryone tells me find the white Oaks and you'll find the deer But I have found a Ton of white Oaks but NO acorns ? do they only produce every other year or so? I am hunting on area loaded with white Acorn tree's but not one of them has any acorns? the Reds are huge this year but I know they they don't care for them, so what else do they eat besides acorns there are No farms in Conn where I hunt I even put corn out in one area where I seen them last year and a gallon of deer cane and none of them were touched! I am stumped on this one any and all info would be greatly appriciated Thanks
Old 09-16-2006, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: White Oaks

Hey CTJohn, deer do indeed like red oak acorns,they just prefer white oak acorns. White oaks don't drop every year, either do reds. Acorn drop is tree specific, this means if one is dropping, that doesn't mean they all are. Hope this helps.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard white oaks drop every 2 or 3 years and red oaks every year, unless there is a late frost or drought or whatever.

My father has several huge redoaks in his yard and they always drop acorns but some years there are more than others.

I've noticed deer going after redoaks later in the year after the frost and snow.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, acorns are hard to predict. Some years are better than others for one and/or the other. Deer will eat red acorns, but prefer white. Alo, sometimes they drop earlier or later, too. Keep an eye out and start hunting under the white oaks if they start dropping! I'm really surprised about the corn, deer usually love corn. Are you sure you have deer around there?
Old 09-16-2006, 08:23 PM

windwalker, you are right, but I think it's the other way around. Red's take 2 years to mature, white's only one. But I think the trees have both years acorns on them, so they drop every year.

It's been pretty dry this year, and the crop may not be very good. Some years, like last, for instance, are crazy, others are slow. I personally like the slow years. If you can find 1 tree that's dropping, you'll find the deer.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:39 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just read a good article on the subject while waiting for some tires to be put on. In a nut shell (yuk yuk yuk) If the whites are off hunt the reds. Follow the trails to and from and set up in a good location. Public ground philosophy. I liked it.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:42 AM

got any beechnut trees?
Old 09-17-2006, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

I always heard White acorns every other year, red acorns every year.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just know that in areas I hunt, the redoaks are there every year but white oaks are there only once every couple years.

The red oaks take two years to mature but the tree will have mature acorns on it as well as the immature ones on it at the same time. Some years they drop more acorns than others.

After the white oak has a heavy mast it needs to recooperate a year or so.

Like I said, my father has several huge red oaks in his yard. He always has acorns all over his drive way.

Quick Reply: White Oaks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.