Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What weather keeps you inside? >

What weather keeps you inside?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What weather keeps you inside?

Old 09-16-2006, 05:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What weather keeps you inside?

High temps or rain , I absolutely abhor hunting on a rainy day .
Old 09-16-2006, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Itry not tobow hunt in the pouring rain or if it's too hot butI will still gun hunt in the rain. Really bad freezing rain kept me inside once too.. Too much ice on everything.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:12 AM

Thunderstorms w/lightning and may 40 mph wind not much keeps me from hunting
Old 09-16-2006, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

Lightning is about the only thing that keeps me from hunting. I killed one of my better bucks on a windy day. I had to move my stand after hunting it in the morning because the tree it was in was too small for the wind. It was about 25 mph. The tree was an oak that was about 18" at the base and it was moving too much with that wind. I found a huge oak that was 4 ft. at the base that had a lot of low limbs so I used them as a ladder to get up to about 12 ft. There were 3 scrapes wihtin 15 feet of each other and I thought the deer might be nervous with the wind and would work the scrapes. I set the stand there and went home for breakfast.
The winds accualy picked up a little more as the day went by. I was siding my house and at about 12:30 I had to stop as the wind was trying to rip the siding out of my hands.
There was football to watch and I was tired from fighting the wind in the morning as well as the while trying to work at home.
After the first quarter the Bears were getting their buts kicked and I couldn't take it any more. I showered up and headed to the woods.
It was about 2:30 when I got into the stand. The wind was blowing so hard that this giant tree was swaying. I thought "this is great. I'm tied to this tree and if a limb breaks off I can't even get out of the way." As that thought crossed my mind I looked down under me and saw antlers. There was so many limbs below me, I couldn't see how big this deer was. As I reached for my bow, he cleared the branches and I knew I was going to try a shot. He went right to the scrapes and started to work them like he was digging for gold! I just watched as he did this as I had never seen this before except on TV. The scrapes were only 15 yards from the stand so I just let him work away. He did everything textbook perfect. first he would paw. Then he would pee and lick the licking branch and rub it with his head and antlers. He did this for all three scrapes. When he was done he gave me a perfect 20 yd. quartering away shot. My arrow disapeared in his right ribcage and I saw it stick in the ground on his left side.
To be honest with you I don't remember the wind, or the tree moving at all. All I know is he went about 40 yards to the left and went down.
He's not a monster 10 pt. but he scored 136 gross. Thats good enough for me to get out and litterally hunt the wind.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

This weekends weather![:'(] Rain, wind gusts to 50 mph, down right NASTY.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:12 AM

If its really windy (hard to hear anything in the woods) I stay home but hunting in a nice light steady rain is great for still hunting & stalking really helps mask your sound. I read an article in bowhunter magzine last years( I think) about the benifits about hunting in a light rain(not heavy) it's like the deer know your going to stay home. But I understand that all you old cats with all the arthritis and such shouldn't go out when its chilly and rainy...LOL leave it to us young guys.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:20 AM

If season is in I Pretty well Hunt. If it's raining I use my blind. If the wind gets crazy I'll stay because I don't want a tree on my head!!!
Old 09-16-2006, 04:31 PM

Just tornadoes, hurricanes and blizzard...Other than that, I'm there...
Old 09-16-2006, 05:38 PM

1.) Moderate to Heavy soaking rain
2.) I will not hunt in temps that exceed 60 degrees, I know that there are people here that would love 60-70 where they live, but its just not me.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:22 PM

I have taken my biggest deer in the rain. I will hunt in everything except for four types of weather.

1. Hurricane
2. Tornado
3. 90+ Degree Heat
4. 60+ MPH Wind

Sleet, rain, snow, hail, etc. I have hunted in all and have been successful in all.

"It's the hard that makes this sport great"

Quick Reply: What weather keeps you inside?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.