Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Should I be worried? >

Should I be worried?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should I be worried?

Old 09-15-2006, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Should I be worried?

I previously posted about some scouting I've been doing on my hunting property. There is a large field that I can view from an overlook and I have been seeing several deer each time I go out. Several weeks ago, I had set up a feeding station and the deer have been hitting it hard. I have a stand set up just off of this field and just a couple ofevenings ago I watched a really good buck exit the field right under my stand set up. So why would I be worried? Well, last night my wife and I went over to my brother-in-laws to have dinner. He's got a rifle hunt in Wyoming for deer and Elk coming up in November. He informed me that he was needing to go shoot his rifle and practice at longer ranges than he's accustomed to here in Oklahoma. I asked him where he was going to do his shooting and he told me that he was going to go out to our lease and shoot in the field where I've been seeing all the deer and have my stand set up. I said that I didn't feel that it was a good Idea to go racking off his rifle two weeks before season right in the middle of our honeyhole. He then informed me that it won't affect anything and that he would be out there during the middle of the day. I told him that these deer are bedding just off the field and that he would probably disturb them if he was out there shooting his 300 win. mag. Again he said that it wouldn't bother anything and he planned on going out this weekend to start practicing.

This really ticks me off!! I've spent good money to lease this property with my father, and a couple of other family members.I've spent several hours setting up mystands and feeding stations and just observing deer movement over the last several seasons to finallyget to the point where I am today. I've taken two good bucks and mydad has taken 3 really nice bucks over the lastthree years. I know where the deer move regularly and have my stand set accordingly. It really aggrevates me that hedoesn't have more respect for the rest of us thathunt the property. He'sgotother places to goshoot, yet he's going to choose to go to our honeyhole. I'm just venting, but am I wrong in thinking that this will affect the deer two weeks before our opener?
Old 09-15-2006, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Should I be worried?

IMHO - Do everything you can to convince him to shoot somewhere else! Thats just rediculous! It might not scare off some of the younger inexperienced deer but you can probably count on not seeing anything worthwhile. At the absolute minimum, the deer in the area will be on edge. Worst case - honeyhole ruined.

If you can't convince him with reason then contact the land owner and let him/her know what your friend is planning.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:03 AM

Yeah...there wont be much around, at least not anything big, if he is letting fly with his 300 Win Mag. That thing has a report, trust me, I know!
I would, as already said, try to convince him not to shoot there. Do all that you can, don't feel shy and be assertive. You put alot of work into this spot, dont let anyone else screw it up for you. Be bold and tell him you flat out think he is wrong. If that doesnt work, direct him to us, well take care of him!
Old 09-15-2006, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am confused. Is he even inon the lease? If not, then tell him to go pound sand. If he is, then you have to convince him of why you feel the way you do. Now, do I think that him shooting a time or two would make a big difference... no. But, that isn't the only issue here. He needs to respect the efforts you have made. Just MHO.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:09 AM

I'd agree that its probably not to your advantage to have him be doing this so close to bow season. I just know that where I am, the deer move out of the area or at least go pretty much nocturnal after the first day or two of firearms season.

Anyway, I'd look into where else he could sight in. There has to be someplace. Do you need to sight in a rifle yourself? If so, offer to take him somewhere else, be it a range or farmer's field or wherever, and offer to provide the ride and pay any fees. That should solve the problem if you can do that. I might not be so friendly about it if it wasn't family but even if it's a relative you don't care for, you still have to see them at getogethers, etc.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Arrrrggggggg[:@]
Old 09-15-2006, 11:26 AM

Also, if being cordial doesn't work, mention how you just bought a new four wheeler and plan to run that sona bleep wide open all over the property for a few weeks before he hunts there during gun season.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

That would certainly concern me to the point that I wouldn't let him ease my mind that everything will be okay. Personally he doesn't care what you think so don't care what he thinks and voice your opinion and ask/tell him not to got there.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm trying to persuade him in as nice a way as I can. Yes he is on the lease, I asked him if he wanted in two years ago because he was always complaining that he didn't have any place to go. My dad and I acquired the property 4 seasons ago and then we asked my dad's cousin and his son if they wanted to join. We all get along great and respect each others hunting areas. My dad and I hunt the same stands and just rotate acording to each others work schedule. We've never had any problem to this point. I told my dad what my brother-in-law was planning and he got aggrevated also. I guess I'll have to be more abrupt with him. He doesn't have as much hunting experience that the rest of us. His tactics aren't very efficient, but he's learning.I've tried to be patient with him but I'm getting to the point where Iwish I'd never have asked him to join. I'm going to try to get him to go with me tosome public landthat has some large fields to shoot.I'm trying not to make him mad butit sounds likethat mightbe the only way to get my point across.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yea your bother - in - law is gonna mess you up big time.
If he won't listen to you maybe your dad should have a talk with him.

Quick Reply: Should I be worried?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.