Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What % of your harvests are passthrus? >

What % of your harvests are passthrus?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What % of your harvests are passthrus?

Old 09-15-2006, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default What % of your harvests are passthrus?

Generally speaking..., I realize that there are many variables, but am curious for those of you that have taken many deer with bow and arrow- what percentage of your shots have been passthrus...thx
Old 09-15-2006, 08:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What % of your harvests are passthrus?

Define "passthrough". Are you refering to the arrow laying on the ground behind the animal or are you refering to the broadhead sticking out the far side.

The last 5 bucks I've shot with RM Snypers I had one pass through where the arrow exited the animal, 2 of them the arrow fell out the far side on the run and the last two, the arrow stayed in but had an exit hole.

I've had pass throughs with the arrow exiting the body with Muzzy's but I've also had non passthroughs but have had exit holes. I can't remember the last animal I shot that didn't have an exit hole at least.

When I shot my bull elk at 33 yards, the arrow went another 20 yards past the bull, I came home from that trip, same setup and failed to completely pass through a doe...explain that, simply variables.

Oh, all bows shot were over 70 ft lbs of KE.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

I think double-lung shots are the most likely to be pass-throughs.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

To date, I think my percentage is over90% including whitetails, mule deer, elk, and caribou. The only non-pass throughs (laying on ground or stuck in a tree or in the ground) were on whitetails. I don't know if it is the broadheads, but I do get awesome penetration. Bow shoots about 62 lbs KE.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd say 50-50.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:11 AM

So far 50% . The only reason for no pass threw on about half is that each time the shoot has been a solid quarteirng away and the arrow tends to get caught on that off side shoulder bone. Belive it or not those shoots usually put the deer down faster than a double lung pass threw.

Tim
Old 09-15-2006, 10:49 AM

All but one have been passthroughs. I shoot Muzzy 125gr 4 blades. I get passthroughs with massive blood loss. Deer, hogs, coyotes usually drop within sight. The only one that didnt was a doe shot from the ground at 35yds. She wheeled just as I released. The arrow struck her on the front part of the right shoulder breaking the shouder. It exited the shoulder and entered the chest cavity breaking a rib. It then passed through the deer long ways exiting the abdomen and entering the left ham lodging in the muscle. Gruesome but effective. She only went about 20feet.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:06 AM

I am at around 85%. Only had a few deer that didnt have a pass through. One hit the shoulder (when I shot an old Xi..man I miss that bow). Another was shoulder again, but the arrow hit the heart and deer died two seconds later. The other was a spine, and that was not fun to deal with.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:21 AM

The only animal I haven't got an exit hole on is my moose (COC head) everything else has been a pass through including: whitetail, blacktail, wild boar, reindeer and brown bear with both expandables and COC heads. With the same rig, I've had two mountain goats where the arrow impacted the shoulder and failed to penetrate at all (COC heads).
Old 09-15-2006, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

99% For me. One buck ran off with about half an arrow hanging out the shot side. It was the one and only time I used an expandable broadhead.

Quick Reply: What % of your harvests are passthrus?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.