Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do you sharpen a bhead? >

How do you sharpen a bhead?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you sharpen a bhead?

Old 09-15-2006, 06:34 AM

Default How do you sharpen a bhead?

I bought some grim reaper razortips. I wanted to try a mechanical, and a friend of mine(who runs a bow shop) has shot 12 diff. african animals with his and hasn't had any problem. When I opened the package, the blades felt like butterknives. I know how to sharpen a knife, but how do you put a razor edge on a broadhead.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you sharpen a bhead?

If it's a mechanical broadhead you will probably have to replace the blades. That's what I do with my three blade Muzzys.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:23 AM

Mechanicals are known for not having the sharpest blades or having a burr on them. Some are better than others. Just working the blades in and out of the head can dull them.

I have taken the blades out of the heads and used a lansky sharpener to put an edge on them. This is the sharpening device that has a clamp for the blade and the stones are on guide rods so you get the perfect angle every time. I actually have a nock off version, but it works reasonably well.

It's a pain with those little blades, but it does the job. Still not as sharp as replacable fixed heads though.

I don't know of any way you could sharpen the blades in the heads on a mechanical. I'm not sure how sharp the replacable blades are mechanicals, never messed with them. Mechanicals are one shot deals for me. Once I use them I just get new heads. Which is sort of stupid considering how expensive they are. I normally only use one a year though, if I decide to use mechanicals. So 30 bucks or so a year isn't a real big deal. Especially when you consider the price of slugs for my slug gun.

Paul
Old 09-15-2006, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ya I was wondering the same thing. I just bought some Sonic Broadheads, and they did kinda feel like butter knives.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:19 PM

I've used a handheld carbide type sharpener before with reasonable success. You can't get all the way in by the head with them blades still mounted, but you can get most of it if you need to do it quickly. Otherwise you can get the whole blade done with one of those sharpeners by taking the blade out.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Ive taken the blades out before, used a pair of needle nose vice-gips to hold them, and sharpen them just like a knife. All I can say is, use your imagination.