Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rests and Vanes???? >

Rests and Vanes????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rests and Vanes????

Old 09-14-2006, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rests and Vanes????

I think I may go tonight and get a new drop a way rest. I right now have a whisker biskit on my bow, but my fletchings have been getting torn and I wanted a change. Does anyone have any good suggestions? I want to try to keep it under $100.

Also, are blazer vanes worth the extra money? are there a different better type? or should I just stick with my regulars? I have never used any different type of vane, but I only hear good things from them.

thanks IBH
Old 09-14-2006, 02:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Rests and Vanes????

I like blazers. Very durable. As for their worth, it all depends on what you like. With my rest, I have had no problem with regular vanes, so it makes no difference with me, but yea, blazers are excellent vanes.

As for drop aways, Ive used the cable activated ones, like the Quick tune series. Good rests, but my favorite by far is a muzzy zero effects. You will get tuns of answers on this, im only suggesting what ive used, and the zero effects is great. I have a buddy that has been using a drop zone. He loved it, but is not to fond of it now. I have not talked to him since last season, he simply mentioned that he was about to change to something else. I know a lot of people around here love them. As for price. I just bought a zero effects on ebay for a bow im building for a friend, for $40.00.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

I just had my arrows fletched with blazers about a month ago. I also changed from the whisker biskit to a drop a way at the same time.
The Blazers are great vanes. Worth the little bit of extra $ if you ask me. They fly great and are really durable.
I shoot a trophy take drop a way. I'm happy with the rest, but if I had to do it over I would prob buy the muzzy zero effects. I have only heard good things about it. What I don't like about the trophy taker is that when an arrow is shot the rest slams down on the riser. It actually put a noticable nick in the riser where the tip of the rest was contacting. I have since put a double layer of mole skin on it but it still makes the bow a little more noisy than I would like.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Blazers are definitely worth the extra money, which isn't very much. Very durable and definitely steer your arrow well with the extra stiffness. As for rests, my wife and I both had the NAP Quicktune 2100 and both of ours broke. The launcher snapped off on both, and the spring on mine broke (twice). Four others at the pro-shop have had the same problem with the launcher. I switched to QAD Ultra REst and am very happy with that. There are so many out there though now. The Trophy Ridge Drop Zone is pretty awesome too. Lots of choices, pretty much personal preference for rests.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:59 PM

I am also a fan of the trophy taker. I use the trophy taker shakey hunter, and after I put some moleskin on the prongs, bow riser, and the arrow holder, it was pretty silent.And its also durable and has alot of adjustability.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Same here, Trophy Taker Pronghorn and Blazers, my Allegiance is shooting field tips, Muzzy's and Snypers dead on. A great combo for me. I still don't get how people like that WB....I'm sorry, it might work for you but still, when my drop away is perfect with no vane wear, I don't get it.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Newbie question here: are you guys shooting drop aways on your hunting bows, or are you talking tournaments? I just put a wisker biskit on my bow and am trying to get ready for the opener, I've heard nothing but good things about them. Do you shoot drop aways to gain 3 ft/second, or is it accuracy, or are you guys so good at the one motion blindbow grab that the shaft never falls out of the rest?
Old 09-14-2006, 07:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hunting and tournament bow, never once has it fallen off the rest, no different than a shoot through style rest with the front holder at rest. I don't understand your question to be honest with you.

I don't shoot it to gain any speed, it's all about accuracy. Rests were designed from day one to avoid fletch contact. First the berger button shoot through style rests, then the recent shoot throughs so the vanes pass through the rest with no contact, now the drop aways, The least arrow contact to the rest the more accuracy that can be gained by them. I understand the concept of a WB but with todays drop aways, no vane wear, no fletch contact, no arrow contact on release, why use a WB that tears up vanes, effects accuracy on novice shooters etc....I'm not knocking the product, I get the concept I just don't know why anyone would want to put up with the rest's flaws.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob, if you don't understand my question its probably because I'm so new to the wisker bisket that I haven't noticed any vane wear yet, and so new to archery that (my) accuracy level wouldn't be affected by the bisket. I have been in the stand before and reached for my bow (1st time I've ever had a deer appear in open season) and reached for my hanging bow, only to have the arrow fall off the rest. The minuses of the bisket seem minor to me compared to the bonuses, but I guess I'll learn not to rush it when the big guy comes out (conquer my buck fever), then maybe I'll appreciate a drop away style rest.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: tschaef

Newbie question here: are you guys shooting drop aways on your hunting bows, or are you talking tournaments? I just put a wisker biskit on my bow and am trying to get ready for the opener, I've heard nothing but good things about them. Do you shoot drop aways to gain 3 ft/second, or is it accuracy, or are you guys so good at the one motion blindbow grab that the shaft never falls out of the rest?
I shot the zerro effects on all my hunting compounds. i like it because it will hold the arrow in place in every possition that the wiskerbisket will with one exception, that would be if you were shooting while standing on your head. It is enclosed by the turkey spur and is impossible to fall off the rest. I simply love it. Another pluse, there is no way to mess it up once you have it on. Installation is a snap as well. But like I said earlier, there are many good ones, the Zerro effect is just one of them. I love it.

Quick Reply: Rests and Vanes????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.