Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rumor of loose leopard >

Rumor of loose leopard

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rumor of loose leopard

Old 09-14-2006, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rumor of loose leopard

There is a guy (guys, family, I don't know) about 5 miles from my farm who has an exotic game "sanctuary". A few years ago he lost a mountain lion that was seen around for a whilebut has since vanished and now he has supposedly lost a black leopard or panther or whatever you call it (and yes, I too am wondering how this guy still has a license to keep exotic animals since he seemingly looses them every couple years). I say supposedly because I have not seen it and it hasn't been in the papers, but I talked to a farmer who had a horse mulledand I don't know what else would do that in Ohio (the horse did survive). Anyway, I am rather nervous about this thing. If it is hungry it will go after me, my wife, or certainly my baby son in an instant. So, even though it is against the rules, would you be taking say a .44 mag revolver into the field with you? I don't know it just has me a bit spooked. I also wonder if it will survive the winter (I hope not).

Rest assured, if I get a shot I will take it and post pictures (hopefully not of my mangled body after I gut shot it or something). I would also get a full body mount of the sucker if the DNR would let me.

I am definitely going hunting, but I am seriously thinking of carrying a side arm.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:42 AM

Default RE: Rumor of loose leopard

I dont know about ohio but in indiana it is illegal to take any kind of a sidearm out with you while bow hunting. But that would make one heck of a bow kill mount. Just a thought.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't break the law based on a rumor. If that was the case we'd all be "packing" in case Bigfoot, The abonable (sp?)snowman or The lock Ness Monster came at us.

Have bow will travel!
Old 09-14-2006, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see your points, butI have onethoughtI can't get out of mymind: I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. I know the chances of seeing this thing are slim to none, but there is still a chance.

And I agree about it being one amazing bow kill. I bet I would be the first person in Ohio to do it, if not the world. Ok, that's it I am bowhunting panther this year

Really, I hope it is already dead. That thing would be too dangerous.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

In PA it's illegal to carry any type of firearm during the archery season. If I were you I'd check the local game laws.
If it is a violation I wouldn't chance it. If your that concerned about actually being attacked I'd go out and buy one of those big bottles of pepper spray that they usewhen hunting in griz country.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

If possible call that guy and ask if he really did lose the thing. That may take all the worrying out of the situation. I definitely wouldn't be carrying a sidearm, that might bea little hard to explain.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:38 AM

Well heres my 2 cents, it is usually against the law to carry anything other than a .22 with #12 ratshot. To me that would be better than a bow. If you were rolling around with this on your back you can better beleave rat shot in its face would cause it to retreat. From what I hear from panther attacks you usually dont have that chance. The victems never knew what hit them. We have a picture floating around here locally where a game cam took a pic of a 6 pt buck at night walking by and about 6-8' behind it was a mountain lion crouched fixing to pounce on it.8' !!!! and the deer never knew it was right behind him,,,,amazing they are so effecient.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lahoyt..That pic circulated everywhere. It was photoshopped. One guy even made the cougar sneaking up on Jessica Simpson.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

DWD2001, you are right. I don't know his phone #, but I should knock on his door and ask. Don't know why I didn't think of that first.

ORIGINAL: LaHoytguy

From what I hear from panther attacks you usually dont have that chance. The victems never knew what hit them.
Gee, that makes me feel better [&:]

Old 09-14-2006, 10:00 AM

I don't worry too much about big wild cats, we have some around here where I hunt, most are very afraid of humans. The only problem I see is that this one, being raised around humans and possibly abused by them, could be dangerous, and not fear humans like it should. Chances of the two of you actually meeting up would be very slim though, I believe.

Quick Reply: Rumor of loose leopard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.