Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whitetail and Leopards? >

Whitetail and Leopards?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whitetail and Leopards?

Old 09-13-2006, 06:47 PM

Default Whitetail and Leopards?

Last spring I purchased a nice Leopard McKinsey target and added it to my range in an open bottom below my house with oaks around. Recently I added a shooting platform and a bag target holder (complete with roof) - real nice setup.

Recently I purchased a corn feeder and some mineral blocks; placed the blocks on one end of the open bottom, just inside the oaks and placed the corn feeder just inside the oaks at the other end. There are deer in the area - see 'em all the time.

Question - the leopard is in a prominent spot between the block location and the feeder location - it's wide open. It's been there all summer. However, in two weeks there is zero sign around the feeder and the blocks. Do deer shy away from realistic looking 3-d targets, even if the predator is non-indiginous?
Old 09-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Whitetail and Leopards?

Good question, Deer have already avoided decoys, anything out of the norm will spook a deer. Imagine someone adding something to your bedroom, you'll notice, even become alarmed or inquisitive. Perhaps it's not the form of the target but the target alone that is new/suspicious not to mention the new odors.

Interesting tho, who the heck knows, the deer won't tell us. I'd imagine enough tho, a leopard resembles a cougar other than coloration, smart animals, remove it and see if things change again.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:49 PM

Well, that's what's funny, it's been there since April - figured they were used to it.

However, I am asking them to change their route just a smidge...maybe thery're just now taking a close look and they don't like it? By the way, no cougars around here either...at least none that the DNR admits. Far as I know the only predators around here are people and yotes.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

JJ, I wonder too, acorns are prime right now and dropping, do you suppose perhaps there is a prime tree or grove where the deer are concentrating?
Old 09-13-2006, 08:15 PM

That sure could be - I know whitetails love their whiteoak. I have red oak dropping like rain down there and the sure don't even give it a look right now. Got some white oak dropping on the hill, but there's no sign on it either. There could be some whiteoak near bedding right now making it easier and more convenient.

I took the leopard out tonight anyway - just went down there and retrieved it with the ATV. If they start hitting it right away, then I think we may have a winner. If they're hitting it and I put the leopard back and they stop - that would be conclusive, you think?
Old 09-13-2006, 11:57 PM
Typical Buck

I think a lot of animals assess unfamiliar animals aspredators/non-predatorsby the look/build of them. For instance, most animals with eyes set in the front of the skull are predators. It helps with pursuing prey. Most prey animals have eyes set in the side softhe head, which helps them keep an eye out for predators by giving them almost 360 degree views. Leopards probably have a similar enough build to mountain lions, which deer instinctively fear, that they are cautious of leopards as well.

Just my theory.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

All I know is I have to take my McKensie in or the bucks destroy it, so obviously they at least sometimes think they are real. I would guess it would scare them, but its not like they have seen a leopard or a cougar before. I like the experimenting idea. Get rid of it for a while and let us know.