Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Well...you boys were right...again. >

Well...you boys were right...again.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Well...you boys were right...again.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:03 PM

Default Well...you boys were right...again.

So, after my broadhead issues yesterday, I decided to do some more paper turning when I got home from work. Low and behold, for some wierdo reason, I have a tear to the left of the arrow @ 15ft with FP's. What is strange is that, when I bought the bow a month ago, it was shooting dead on center. What is also strange is the tear is not consistent. Some have about an inch, others about a half an inch, and some look to be damn near dead on, depending on the arrow and the shot.When I moveback to 20yds, the tear is smaller, but still noticable.Do you boys think this is a form issue, or is it a bow/arrow issue? I am beginning to think about upgrading arrows, as well as myrest. Something just sounds really nice about aWB, and I really dont like how my bow has been drawing with the dropzone, particullary with the speed mods on my Tribute. If I let off at allthe arrow bounces off the rest, which is something I DONT want to happen in the woods...even. My GT's are really beginning to show some wear and tear, andwhen I spin them in my hand they have a slight slightwobble to them. Some are more or less than others, but I can definetly notice.
Ho hum...the tuningblues I am singing boys...I just want my bow to be tuned, with broadheads, and ready to hunt. I am off to the shop tomorrow, and hopefully Jimcan get my tuned and running well again.
Any advice?
Ps. If you say, "Should have bought a Trykon, Ill get pissed"
Old 09-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Well...you boys were right...again.

Form, torque issue.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:09 PM

May I ask Rob what makes you say that...the inconsistency?
Old 09-12-2006, 06:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry, that was a short answer. Yes, the inconsistancy. Out of a machine, the tears wouldn't vary, the arrow would come out of the bow the same every time. If your getting inconsistant tears, the arrow is leaving the bow inconsistant. All else being equal, the bow, the arrows, that leaves human error ie, form and torquing. I apologize for being blunt in the first post. My wife was burning my ear and I had to answer or get in trouble.

One reason I'm a big fan now of the laser/level for center shot and tuning. See Gregs post here: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1684829

You could make a quick reference with the laser/levels to take out the human error out of the bow, any odd tear then results in human error, spine issue or timing.

In your case, torque.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

also i would look at the quicktune 360, although i have a wb and like it pretty well
Old 09-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

i agree with rob..it sounds like torque because of the inconsitant tears. also may need retuned because of the string creeping as it broke in. but to correct it watch your form, anchor, grip, release, and your sight bubble if you have one. i didnt thing that stupid little bubble would make a diffrence....but it sure does. and i noticed even with good form and a good release and grip i had a tendancy to grab the bow as soon as i released. someone here said it best..think dead spider with your grip. let them all hang before during and after the shot. you dont wanna move your bow at all. keep it all straight and level..good luck...frustrating..i know
Old 09-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

John,

Per the PM I sent you and in regards to the call you sent today, I would put my tuning ability on a binary up against anyone in this state and would be very happy to help you out with this bow to see if we can get it tuned. I have had quite a few people that bought bows from that dealer you speak of that bring their bows into me at the dealer I work with (even though we don't have bowtech there) or to me privately because they know I typically have them straightened out in very quick order and probably have more experience with binaries than anyone else in this area. I was tuning binaries for myself and everyone in this area last year this time while the folks across the river were bashing them still and telling everyone how horrible they are because they weren't able to get the line over there due to dealer territories. I know we aren't a dealer but I can guarantee you I will have that bow shooting bullet holes and tuned perfectly in very short order even if you come to my house instead of the shop. The problem isn't a drop zone and won't be solved by changing rests, my allegiance last year was shooting perfectly w/ a dropzone and was smoking everyone at the indoor 3D events I was shooting over last winter. If the arrow bounces off the rest when letting down, whether intentional or accidental it is a problem with nock pinch that is easily fixed, this is not a problem with a rest. A whisker biscuit is a bandaid for a problem like this that is easily solved otherwise. It may be form related or may be tuning related but I can guarantee I will have you shooting bullet holes in short order but I guarantee the problem isn't the rest. I also know how to slightly tweak letoff, holding weight, and draw length on that current mod you have now if it is only a very slight change you need........meaning less than 1/2". I deleted your message tonight thinking I could just hit callback on my cell phone so I don't have your phone #, call me again or PM me here if you want help tuning that bad boy and I would be happy to help.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

I'm having similar probs. with my dropzone rest, the bottom fletch is scuffed on all my arrows. I think the spring is bad in the rest, I oiled it but it didn't help, The result is inconsistent flight, arrows, however are hitting close to their mark. I think I'm going to replace it this week, though. When I shoot my practice broadhead, the accuracy decreases greatly.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Yes, the inconsistancy. Out of a machine, the tears wouldn't vary, the arrow would come out of the bow the same every time. If your getting inconsistant tears, the arrow is leaving the bow inconsistant.
Rob, I am having a similar problem in that some of my arrows are right tears, some left, some no tear at all. Being that the bow was laser tuned, is it logical to assume that the problem is me and my form?
Old 09-13-2006, 08:13 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: MN_Deerman

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Yes, the inconsistancy. Out of a machine, the tears wouldn't vary, the arrow would come out of the bow the same every time. If your getting inconsistant tears, the arrow is leaving the bow inconsistant.
Rob, I am having a similar problem in that some of my arrows are right tears, some left, some no tear at all. Being that the bow was laser tuned, is it logical to assume that the problem is me and my form?
I'll bet it's your grip that's doing it.

Quick Reply: Well...you boys were right...again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.