Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I shot my First elk >

I shot my First elk

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I shot my First elk

Old 09-12-2006, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I shot my First elk

ORIGINAL: squirrelkilla23

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

For anyone on this forum that has said negative words about taking this calf, I hope I never hear of you shooting a button buck or fawn doe, same exact scenerio...

Again, congratulations on some good eating.
and you will never ever hear that from me....
Oh Mr. squirrelkilla23, my young lad, I hope you don't eat crow, good luck on that endeavor.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:40 PM

stinkbelly I've done a lot of backpack, solo hunting in Colorado wilderness areas. I tagged bulls the fist 4 years I went, and have taken elk home 8 of the 11 years I've been, only being skunked one year ( 2 years I chose not to shoot looking for something bigger)

I read thetwo posted stories and I just don't believe them. I think you're stretching how accurate you can shoot your broadheads, I think this calf elk is80-100 pounds at the best, I thinkwith the wound you desribed in the big game forumthis calfwasn't very frisky when you shot it .......... it just doesn't ring true to me man.

I'm sorry , it doesn't. Yes, you taggeed it, you killed it legally, yet you didn't salvage any of the meat because of the infection. Your choice in all the above, but something just doesn't ring true for me here.

Again, sorry I'm a doubter, I'm just calling it like I read it.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Blah, blah, blah, blah,.....
Old 09-13-2006, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tender hearts, trophy hunters, and doubters abound here on Hunting.Net.
Oh what it must be like to stand above the rest. "I won't shoot young animals." "I 've done that too and I'm better at it.""Your story doesn't ring true." "You can't shoot your bow that good, only I can." "You should have moved on and waited for a mature animal." Not exact quotes but pretty close. I just don't get it Stinkbelly used his tag, on his hunt, and took a legal animal. Whatever happened to "Nice job" or"Good luck next year on abigger one."or "Congatulations"
I see that most are saying those thingsbut for the others, ona thread like this particular one: If you don't have something nice to sayhave the courtesy to say nothing. Why would you try to cast guilt or shame on this hunter to the point that one "poster" is almost calling him a liar?

Old 09-13-2006, 06:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on your Elk!!
Old 09-13-2006, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have shot it on the first day! Congrats!

Tom
Old 09-13-2006, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats. Sounds like this one was a long time coming. Good for you for persevering.

As to those negative posts that didn't have the guts to apologize (kudos for those who admitted their mistakes): Some of us don't have to make up for feelings of inadequacies by being the best of the best. Some of us feel comfortable enjoying our hunting experience and only trying to best our own expectations, not compete against the whole hunting community. Get over yourself and rejoice in other's successes. Keep the negative comments to yourself. He didn't do anything illegal or unethical, so save your condemnation for those that do.

As far as a 40 yard shot: I have to admit I'm getting sick of the conventional wisdom that only a 20 yard shot, or less, is an ethical shot. Most of our bowhunting "heroes" of old shot well beyond 70 yards, and effectively, with much slower, primitive bows. Anyone with sights and a modern bow that can't shoot well at 40 yards is just limiting themselves. If that's what you chose to do, fine, but don't critisize those that want to push their proficiency to their limit.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:13 AM

First off congrats on the elk stinker. Looks like you had a great time and ended on a high note. I am a die hard elk hunter myself and know the challenges one must face and what the game is all about. She ain't always peaches and cream like on the vid's. Here we are allowed to arrow cows, calves of bulls in the archery season. I will not arrow a calf because i often have 2 weeks to hunt so i hold of for at least a juicy cow but my hunting partners who only come up for a few days take a calf if nothing else is around byt he final days. There is no shame in the size of the animal and from the sounds of the story in the big game forum is that you did the thing a favor cause he wasn't going to make it much longer. As for the razzing your takin well everybodies situation is different, not everyone is blessed with great elk habitat or numbers or good bulls. Some folks on here seem to forget that, we all can't live in the moutnain and kill 300 plus bulls on a consistent basis. But believe me i would if i could.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice job

Your tag, your choice!!

A lot of service man and woman help protect those choices, and died so we could. Please keep this in the back of our minds.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:52 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Gut Check

Man...what has this board come to? You have Boy Named Sue ridiculing stinkbelly for missing a shot and shooting again.
Dont sweat it. Boy named sue, aka stealthy, aka datamax, aka everthing he can come up with,,,, simply ridicules everyone. He must be god, because he knows all the answers.

Too bad the Mods cant figure that out, because its sadthat theykeep banning god.

Quick Reply: I shot my First elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.