Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Smoking Jerky?

Old 09-11-2006, 09:31 AM

Default Smoking Jerky?

This may be the wrong place to post this question but has anybody ever tried making jerky in a smoker? I have a gas smoker and was wanting to try it but wanted to check here for opinions or advice first.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Smoking Jerky?

Only suggestion, dont roll it too tight, or you cant get a hit. Dont roll it too lose, or you will have a sloppy roach.

Sorry, I couldnt resist.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Dominant Buck

To answer your question, I make it all the time. I use the R2D2 looking smoker. Keep the temp around 150 to 250 and keep the smoke coming. It usually takes about 2 to 4 hours, depending on thinkness of cut and temp. I like to slow smoke it, so I keep the temp around 180 200 degrees. Its real easy.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Spike

dnutt - I've made jerky in a dehydrator, a gas smoker, and an electric smoker. I would say the dehydrator is the easiest because there are less variables (just turn it on and go), but the smokers gave it much more flavor in my opinion. I left the liquid smoke out of the jerky recipe an let the natural smoke flavor it. I messed up a few batches by giving it too much smoke and/or letting it get too hot but now I think I've got the hang of it. I error a bit on the cooler side which takes longer to smoke, but that's fine... and I also error a bit on the less smoky side as that can overwhelm the meat also. If I'm in a hurry or can't watch the meat as closely I'll use a dehydrator.. if I've got the time I'll use the smoker.
If you're curious about specifics, I've found info on the recipes/cooking forum here and just on general internet searches...
Old 09-11-2006, 02:13 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I do use a dehydrator but just thought the smoker might give it more flavor. Just didn't know what temp and for how long, and do you leave the water pan in there? I wouldn't think so.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried it a few times in the electric smoker. The instructions said not to use the water pan for jerky, so I tried it that way.

It dried to a crisp. I tried it a few more times but it always came out to crispy. I just went back to drying it on racks in the oven. Didn't want to waste any more meat on experimenting.

I would also be interest in details on how others have done it in a smoker to where it came out right.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:09 PM

Ive always done it in the oven...Put it on racks turn the temp down as LOW as it can go and let it cook all night.