Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Apples or Acorns....gents i got a situation >

Apples or Acorns....gents i got a situation

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Apples or Acorns....gents i got a situation

Old 09-11-2006, 09:09 AM

Default Apples or Acorns....gents i got a situation

Ive been watching 4 bucks since early july, all of them will score well over 140......they have been bedding in a small clear cut on near a soy bean field, apple orchard, and an oak grove....now that dosnt really sound like a problem...infact its like deer heaven...problem is...i have 2 stands...one in the oak grove...and one near the apples...both of them are on the edge of the clear cut, where i know they are bedding.......my problem arises with...do i hunt the apples or the oaks...on opening day...which is September 30 for us PA hunters....just want some advice....ive been seeing these deer in the apples latley from the road...but 4 years ago we had the same crop setup....and they were in the acorns....any ideas... suggestions....or is it gonnna be hope and pray time!
Old 09-11-2006, 09:11 AM

Default RE: Apples or Acorns....gents i got a situation

I would stick to the acorns. Better nutrition from what I understand.
Then again, deer like apples. If you are lucky you might get a drunk deer that has eaten fermented fallen apples. That is always fun to watch them stumbling all over.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the acorns are dropping and are good, I would stick with them. I have seen deer walk past corn and apples to get to acorns. I would do a check for sign and make a decision based on how much sign is where.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hunt Them where they are now..Which sounds like the apples.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep...Huge problem!!! Sounds like you need a couple of more hunting buddies...One for apples, one for white oaks and one for soybeans!!!

Can you hunt either the apples or oaks and get out without disturbing the deer in the other areas??? If so, I would start there....

If not...I'd go with acorns because of past experience...
Old 09-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

Are they white oaks? Deer prefer white oak acorns over the red oaks. White oaks have the rounded leaves, whereas red oaks have pointed leaves.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like my set-up!! I'm setting up in the oaks, where they stage before going into the orchard.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

hunt smack dab in the middle of them if possible
Old 09-11-2006, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

i have the same situation..my orchard has probably 10 diffrent apple type, pears, peaches etc. the reason im not hunting the oaks is because the other hunter WILL. most have no idea that orchard is there because it sits on a steep hillside by houses. its only probably 5 acres..but theres atleast 100 fruit trees there. the edge of that is creek..the other edge before the woods open up is a nasssssty thicket the deer bed in. if the wind is good ill be waiting at the trail that comes out of the thicket into the orchard. the guy gave me permission today..sounds like ill be the only one getting permission. he said he was open for anyone and everyone, but i got permission and if i see anyone else to tell him so it sounds like permission is MINE. he said he been seeing more then ever and they need taken out. they damage the trees and eat more fruit then he can pick. i cant wait. opening evening ill be there if the wind is good..whice passes expirience says it should be. i cant wait...one year on new years eve i seen THREE bucks there..plus i cant see over the bank from the road. im excited. the oaks and the woods get hunted HARD. the deer use the woods but mainly at night. the guys coming in are busted before they are in their stands because the wind blows straight up from the river up the valley. thatll send em right into my orachard!
Old 09-11-2006, 10:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Will do Rocks, Paper, Scissors to see who gets to hunt the acorns. Loser has to hunt the orchid.

Quick Reply: Apples or Acorns....gents i got a situation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.