Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Expandables not opening >

Expandables not opening

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Expandables not opening

Old 09-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Expandables not opening

I don't want to start a war here, but why is it that every time someone shoots a deer with a mechanical and don't recover it.....the blades didn't open...but lose one with a fixed head, oh well, he jumped the string, bad hit, etc? I'll never understand that reasoning.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: tatonka

Why not just go with a good fixed blade broadhead and not worry about it? I'm probably not the right person to ask here as I don't trust them either. Must be some outfitters don't either because there are some who will not allow their hunters to use them.
I don't like the way fixed blades shoot. I would rather not move my sights for a fixed blade and then give up practicing with field points. I know....I know, your bow should be tuned to be able to shoot broadheads and fieldpoints the same but I'm too new at bowhunting to get into the complicated stuff right now. The Grim Reapers shoot identical to my field points.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

buttonbuckmaster,

Thank you buddy! I've been preaching the same thing for years. I know guys who are affraid of mechanicals "costing them a deer", yet they wound deer every-year with fixed heads? Guess the fixed heads must be failing! he he he.....
Old 09-11-2006, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

And if you don't recover the deer, how do you know if the expandable opened or not? Yea, this could be a good topic for debate...

I guess I'm old and set in my ways. I've used Black Diamond Deltas forever and they've not failed me. I like sharpening the heads. They are a tough broadhead and have withstood the test of time. Plus I just can't afford to practice with these new high-tech broadheads that cost $10 apiece. I like to shoot a lot when I'm walking back to my truck and stuff like that and keep a couple dull arrows in my quiver just for that.......
Old 09-11-2006, 01:59 PM
Site Buck Guru

Back when I only had one bow to shoot, I had two sights, one for field points and one for broadheads. Because that bow was groupingexcellent with both points, but it had different POIs. Why mess with it? A second sight is a lot cheaper than getting a second bow setup.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Dominant Buck

If you're shooting a foam type target and want to see if they'll open, just stick a piece of cardboard in front of the target. Foam is funny when it comes to expandables, especially the one with rubber bands. Cardboard will open them up.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GregH

Back when I only had one bow to shoot, I had two sights, one for field points and one for broadheads. Because that bow was groupingexcellent with both points, but it had different POIs. Why mess with it? A second sight is a lot cheaper than getting a second bow setup.
So you constantly switch sights? No thanks. That seems more of a hassle than tuning the broadheads to the fieldpoints. The good thing about the grim reapers is that the replacement blade kit for three heads is only $12 and thereare no rubberbands to mess with.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

treehunter, I would venture to say that those expandables are indeed opening. Like a couple of guys have mentioned, put a piece of paper on the back of your target and I think you'll find the tell-tale marks of an open broadhead. I used to think the same thing when I first started shooting my Spitfireexpandables with my CB.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot it through an orange. It will be fully opened before it exits the orange.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:34 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: treehunter

ORIGINAL: GregH

So you constantly switch sights? No thanks. That seems more of a hassle than tuning the broadheads to the fieldpoints. The good thing about the grim reapers is that the replacement blade kit for three heads is only $12 and thereare no rubberbands to mess with.
Have you ever seen a dovetailed sight bracket? The sight is held in place with a knurled knob. Simply loosen it, remove target sight and slide in fixed pin sight for hunting, then tighten the knob. It takes less than 30 seconds. No hassle and much easier than tuning FPs to BHs. Sometimes you'll never get them the same. There is really no need to.

Quick Reply: Expandables not opening

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.