Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Oneonta is the place to be (Calling Rick James) >

Oneonta is the place to be (Calling Rick James)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Oneonta is the place to be (Calling Rick James)

Old 09-10-2006, 08:29 AM

Default Oneonta is the place to be (Calling Rick James)

Well, last night at 10 the GF and I decided to go and get a movie. While we were driving along I88 between exit 16 and exit 15, we saw a massive deer body on the side on the road. I knew right away that it was a buck, but didn't see the antlers till the last minute. As we came closer, we both saw the antlers at the same time....and in total unison said, "HOLY ****". We laughed about it later alot. Now, by GF wears glasses, and without them she cant see. She wasnt wearing them at the time, and she still saw the antlers! The buck was a 10 pointer, with brow tines that I would estimate to be in the 10-12" area. All in all, the buck was the biggest I have seen in the area. I would guesstimate the score to be 110-130.
The catch...this buck lives on the border of the city limits. I am going to see if I can get permission to hunt near there on that side of the river. Hope a car didnt tag him after I saw him.
Made my buck fever just a little bit worse[&:]
Well Rick, you read it, now get down here and get to work
Old 09-11-2006, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Oneonta is the place to be (Calling Rick James)

Was he on the river side of I88? Usually I see a lot of big deer just past exit 16 by the river. Afew years ago right at exit 17 someone shot a 17 pt that grossed over 150.
Mr Funky( aka rick james) hunts down with me. I'm off of exit 13 down by morris.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Oneonta is the place to be (Calling Rick James)

Yeah, APAJaws owns the place I hunt in Oneonta........I am familiar with the area you mention though and can often times see deer in there when heading to my property in Bradford County, PA. There are a lot of good ones in that area........I had an encounter last year at APAJaws place with a truemonster of 130" or slightly bigger that I unfortunately couldn't close the deal on. No one shot him, and there are also a matching pair of 10 pointers that were 8's last year that should be 3-4 years now......I am guessing they are in the 120-130" range. Oneonta does have some good bucks........that for sure.