Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

mast crops

Old 09-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default mast crops

I'm not fortunate enough to live in a place with lots of agriculture, so high protein food sources for me are acorns and beechnuts. This year the white oak acorns are non existent and the red oak corns seem abundant. I am really excited about the beechnut crop, seems to be the best in more than 5 years. Coupled with the mild winter we had last year, the ridges I hunt should be loaded with deer and bear. How are your mast crops doing this year??
Old 09-07-2006, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: mast crops

I hunt down south inPine Plantationsso deer have to rely on either food plots, pine cones???, or weeds. Wish I had some good oaks around!!!
Good luck this season!!

TP

Old 09-07-2006, 03:32 PM

Not very good, which should make for some good hunting. Even if you find an oak with acorns, most of them are dried up and empty. The persimmon crop doesn't look all that good either. I hope to find one good white oak dropping, and I have one good perssimon tree that will drop. Aside from that, it's gonna be the bean fields this year. Should be exciting!
Old 09-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here in SE Pa we have a ton of beechnuts and some red oaks are loaded with acorns. Only spotty white oaks giving up those sweet acorns, most are not. [&o]
Old 09-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: early in

Here in SE Pa we have a ton of beechnuts and some red oaks are loaded with acorns. Only spotty white oaks giving up those sweet acorns, most are not. [&o]
Pretty much the same at my house, a ton of acorns. Down at my honey hole spot there are very few oaks and what oaks are there are very old white oaks. They produce a little year to year so they are primarly not a concern. I've hunted them with no results in the past 20 years. My honey hole stands are from that same 20 years of experience in this area. They hang where they do for good reason/ funnels and have treated me very well over the years.

I have one other spot I totally leave alone until the first 2 weeks of Nov when my buddy Kurt (Q2INWHITETAILS) can make it up with me. Last year the first night in there we saw 6 different bucks in less than 3 hours and both missed dandy's. Yup, read that right. [&:]

Old 09-07-2006, 06:13 PM

There are a ton of beechnuts here. We don't have any oaks though.

G
Old 09-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rob, in this one area I hunt there are thesetwo GIANTwhite oaks that are probubly 150-200 years old.Last year these trees dropped a ton of acorns, it was amazing. The two previous years they dropped none atall. I've never seen a white oak drop acorns two years in a row but red oaks sometimes do. I do believe acorn drop is tree specific.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:10 PM

Lots of everything in my corner of Indiana - makes it tough to pattern.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

You missed one Rob? Say it isn't so. I feel your pain, I missed a tall 10 point one year and never figured out why. The acc was in 2 pieces on the ground but I swear I couldn't fine a limb that was in my way. The hunt was still awsome even though the result was failure.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Fork Horn

Some years its like walking through snow in my yard! Not so thick this year. In fact....not much in the way of mast anywhere!
Thank goodness for corn piles!
Good Luck!

Quick Reply: mast crops

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.