Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 help on broadheads >

help on broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

help on broadheads

Old 09-06-2006, 07:23 AM

Default help on broadheads

i have no clue what type of broadhead to get. i know there alot of different types but i need some suggestions

Old 09-06-2006, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: help on broadheads

Wow! Thats a big question. You will probably will get a hundred opinions
so I guess I'll start with mine. I shoot Rocky Mountain Snypers. It is a top rated mechanical however there are lots of good broadheads out there. You need to decide on what type of head you want to shoot first. Also how fast is your bow shooting??

TP
Old 09-06-2006, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

What draw weight are you shooting? I have always liked the cut on contact type blades but most all of the broadheads out there will work. Buy what you think you will like and try them. Everyone has a preference for something so you will get many different answers.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am shooting Rocky Mountain 3 Blade Ironheads-125grs, 60# Compound & Easton Aluminum 2216. I have alsoshot the 3 Blade Rocky Mountain Razor, 3 Blade Rocky Mountain Premier. Borther, son, Daughters shoot Rocky Mountains also in 3 blade at 45#s (the girls) & 60#s brother & Son.
I have taken Caribou, Black Bears, Elk, Buffalo & Wild Hogs with this set up. Mention these as they are tougher & larger than Whitetails.
Excellent.This is the start of my 50th year & have been using Rocky Mountains since they came on the market in the 70s.. Good Luck.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

Like Tall Pine said, you will probably get a hundred opinions, and here is mine: Depending on what size tip you shoot, try the 75gr Rocket Miniblaster or for 100gr tip try the Rocket Hammerhead. I have used both of these mech. broadheads and they are awesome. I use the miniblaster for deer and the hammerhead for turkeys, but they both could be used for the same animal. Just my two cents.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

It really depends on your set up more than anything. Just about any of today's top broadhead companies offer numerous good quality broadheads.How muchpoundage/Kenetic Energy are you shooting?Are you just going to be shooting deer and Turkey? if so it doesn't matter whether you shoot mechanicals or fixed broadheads. I have shot both and killed bigger game than deer with both but i shoot 80 lbs so i would suggest going with a good 3 blade broadhead thats what i have gone back to.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:25 AM

Here's my 2 cents:

1. If you have a "perfectly" tuned bow, can shoot bullet holes through paper, have great form and have practiced shooting out of a treestand: Get a cut on contact head like a Muzzy Phantom, Magnus Stinger or Razorcap.

2. If you're bow is well tuned, but you're not 100% sure of your form or haven't shot from a treestand before. Use one of the low profile replaceable blade "mini" heads available like a Slick Trick, NAP Nitron, WASP bullet...

3. If you don't know how well your bow is tuned but if you're shooting at least 60 pounds and can reasonably hit what you're aiming at with field points, use a mechanical head. My recomendation would be the NAP spitfire (but not the XP version)
Old 09-07-2006, 07:22 AM

thanks you guys. i have heard alot about the snypers and i think i am going to try them out and see what happens. thanks again

Old 09-07-2006, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Been using Muzzy's for over 15 years with zero problems and zero failures.

Take the time to tune your bow properly and forget about mechanicals. Bow tuning is relatively easy and worth the effort. Also take the time to make sureyour broadheads are properly aligned. Sooner or later mostmechanicals result in a horror story.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Id say pick out 3 or 4 different kinds if you have the money, and see which one you like best, all broadheads shoudl fly about the same if you use the correct weight for your spine and arrow length. What kind of arrows? Length and Spine?

Quick Reply: help on broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.