Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shoot Thru Mesh Video(s) >

Shoot Thru Mesh Video(s)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoot Thru Mesh Video(s)

Old 09-05-2006, 05:41 PM

Default Shoot Thru Mesh Video(s)

Someone yesterday inquired about shoot thru mesh on hunting blinds. They wondered whether it would affect the accuracy of their arrow.

I took the liberty to take a couple short videos showing that no, the mesh does not in fact affect your accuracy at all.

The first video shows the view from the outside of the blind looking in towards the hunter. You can see that the arrows leave a hole in the mesh.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v79/CVBears2006/?action=view&current=Mesh.flv

The second video is from down range looking at the target. (Don't mind the second shot, I punched the release and caused the shot to go high and right.)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v79/CVBears2006/?action=view&current=MeshResults.flv

I was shooting Gold Tip XT Hunter arrows fletched with Blazer vanes and tipped with a field point. The blind is an Ameristep Doghouse.

*Disclaimer*Yes, I realize I'm skinny. Yes, I realize that my grip wasn't perfect. You do not need to point these things out. These videos were simply a demonstration of a hunter shooting through the mesh of a hunting blind. If you feel like pointing these things out, please don't.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:56 PM

Default RE: Shoot Thru Mesh Video(s)

Excellent info, Dan. We've been saying here for a while that the mesh has no affect, but it's good to see evidence of that. Nicely done!

Old 09-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for taking the time and effort. What about broadheads exspecially expandables?
Old 09-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dude, youre skinny .... and your gripis all wrong[X(]

hehe just kidding WH, seriously, great info and thanks for taking the time to make the vids, excellent work my friend
Old 09-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

thanks dan

Old 09-05-2006, 07:03 PM

As far as expandables go, I've never shot them through the mesh. They aren't legal to hunt with in Washington, so I've never had the desire to test them out. I would assume, because of how thin the mesh is that expandables wouldn't be a problem though.Fixed blades are no problem at all, they go right through.

The mesh on the Ameristep blinds isvery thin, so much so that you could easily push your finger through it and create a hole. I don't know about Double Bull or any other company's blinds, but I'm fairly confident in saying that they would have the same results.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd question the use of expandables through the mesh. I know with my experience with testing the Rocky Mountain Snypers that I'd bet most if not all the heads would open on the mesh. I've seen Snypers open fully on paper alone and I would't trust shooting them through that mesh. I doubt I'd trust a mechanical that didn't open on the mesh, after all they are suppose to open.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:27 PM

You could be right Rob. I've never even handled a mechanical broadhead, so I don't know for sure how easily they open. If I were still able to work (IE had an income) I'd pick up a pack just to test out for you guys. I know they sell them at the local Sportsman's Warehouse.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:42 PM

I have the dog house also and have tried out the mesh with no problems. a little off topic but have you had problems with your doghouse turning redish brown after being left outside for a little while(a week or so)?
Old 09-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

I shot at a turkey through the mesh of one with a mechanical, it wasn't good news. I missed but I could tell by the tear in the mesh that one blade opened and I blamed it for planing the arrow off it's mark. Maybe it was a bad shot but a blade did open. Oh, it was a Spitfire.

Quick Reply: Shoot Thru Mesh Video(s)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.