Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 one more warning >

one more warning

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

one more warning

Old 09-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default one more warning

Well today I decided to go out behind my house and hang a stand, I was using screw in treesteps.I get up about 15 feet and had just finished a step.I stepped up on that step and my foot slipped and down the tree i went.Unfortunately I didnt have a harness on.No serious injuries thank god, just a headache and a bunch of scrapes.I deicded im not using screw in treesteps any more.I went up the tree took out every last one and left the woods thankful. I am going to try to save up enough money for either a climber or some climbing sticks.I dunno though, all i know is im not hanging any more treestands with screw in treesteps. So im in the market for a used reasonably priced climmber.Always be safe and always wera a safety harness, take it from me and i know mine could have been worse but from now on things are giong to be different
Old 09-05-2006, 03:57 PM

Default RE: one more warning

My advice would be to purchase better tree steps. Preferably the ones with a bend on the very end to prevent your foot from slipping off.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

they had the bend
Old 09-05-2006, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

wow...glad your OK. i have 2 cheap hang on stands and 2 cheap ladder stands sitting in the shed. i refuse to use them. im going thursday or friday to pick up a summit viper SS.....i hunt too much and all over the state to be stuck in a couple locations. a climber is better for me...and although i know you can still fall etc..i think it would be safer..no climbing steps or ladders etc. glad your ok...i always worried about them steps...imagine hitting them suckers on the way down!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 04:02 PM

Then I dont see how your foot would slip off unless you were in a hurry and not paying attention.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

you cant get in a hurry putting the steps in,
Old 09-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Host of Hosts

Cougar, glad to hear your alright. I'm glad that we're not allowed to use those here in PA. Unless your on private land of course. The climbing sticks have come down alot in price in the last few years. Around 40.00 gets you 16 footers.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

These are the steps I have been using for the last year or two. I found that these tend to "bite" into the sole of my boot better than any I have used in the past.

However as always, never use steps that have been in the tree all season. I remove all of my steps and reseat them each season.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Be carefull my man. Glad your not hurt.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanks guys we really are one big family here

Quick Reply: one more warning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.