Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Carbon Arrows Over Time >

Carbon Arrows Over Time

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Carbon Arrows Over Time

Old 09-05-2006, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default Carbon Arrows Over Time

Do carbon arrows weaken over time? I have some Beeman ICS hunters and have a few that shoot and tune better than the others and I have been shooting them alot, its 4 of them. Now will the spine get weaker over time?
Old 09-05-2006, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Carbon Arrows Over Time

It is pretty doubtful that you will weaken the spine of a carbon arrow enough that even a hooter shooter could notice the differene.

One thing you should try is chaning the nocks. Nocks can and will wear out over time and can lead to some erratic arrow flight.
If that still does not help things, try turning the nock 120degrees to the next fletch. Sometimes the spine in one part of the arrow can be different than another, resulting in an arrow or arrows that will not group. Turning the nock in most cases will pull the arrow into the group. If it does not, advance the nock to the next fletch and try again.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have put literally tens of thousands of shots on a single set of carbons and am yet to see this happen, however I have heard from many people that are credible sources that it is possible. Most of the carbons I shoot though are of VERY heavy spine, such as pro 22's, and 30X pro's.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

I have had to turn the nocks on one before, when I shot it through paper it would kick a lil bit, but when I turned the nock to where my cock feather was out to the left it punched a bullet hole. But the reason I have been hooting the others is they are the one that offer best broadhead alignment and I practice with my hunting arrows. I hav shot these same arrows over and over and didnt know if the carbon got weak over time and after so many shots, but I am going to keep shooting them...
Old 09-05-2006, 03:20 PM

Yes, carbon arrows can weaken in spine over time, as well as warp or become bent at the tip. It all depends on how much you shoot them, what you shoot them into and how you remove them from targets. They also don't like to be left in the sunlight. Heat is a carbon arrows enemy, as is wiggling them back forth to get them out of a target.

The statement "They are either straight or broken" is one of the biggests myths and BS lines in archery. Some carbons are bad right out of the box if you get cheap enough ones.

I personally have never wore any out, but I have ruined a few and seen many others that have lost spine or warped.

While carbons may be more durable and less resistant to bending than aluminums you still need to take some care when using them. I would check them more often than you would an aluminum.

Paul