Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Expandables....Recommend One? >

Expandables....Recommend One?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Expandables....Recommend One?

Old 09-04-2006, 01:38 PM

Default Expandables....Recommend One?

can any of you recommend a good expandable? I been thinking of switching to them....And do they really fly as good as a field tip? Thanks, Jay
Old 09-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Spike

Default RE: Expandables....Recommend One?

You will find many opinions on this issue and all have merit. I have shot spitfires and shockwaves from nap for the last several years and never had a problem. Fly just like fieldtips. Just remember to make sure whatever you choose you practice with and make sure your bow is proberly tuned. Lastly make sure your set up has the KE to push the head.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:02 PM

I think I like the spitfire's myself...I'd like to make a decision this week, so I can get it all squared away....My grouping with field tips is very good, so I thought they would help....I think I am shooting 220 fps @ 55 Lbs.....I have a Hoyt MagnaTec...Hunter Maxima 250 arrows....it seems to have plenty of pop to me....but not sure if it's enough.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:11 PM
Spike

If you get yourarrow weight along with your speedyou cancheck the easton or goldtip site to get your KE. If I am not mistaken you need atleast 50#'s to go with mech heads. If I am wrong someone will correct me so don't quote me on it. The spitfire has a large cutting diameter and may be to much for your set up. No doubt they are a great head but there is also plenty of heads out that will work for you.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

Rocky Mountain Snypers are AWESOME!
RM was purchased, and is now called Rage....
Same idea on the broadhead, though.
2-blade, "slip cam."
Old 09-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

I've been using Spitfires for years and have never had a problem with them. Fly just my field points and put a big hole in the deer. Most deer have died within sight.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear only good things about Spitfires. Personally, I never shot an expandable, nor would I ever...My Stingers fly like tips...JMO though I know many guys shoot and like them. But like I said...Spitfire seems to be well liked.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Spike

I have been using the RM Snypers forabout 7years now. They have never let me down. The entrance whole is the largest I have ever seen whith any type of head. I have harvested around 20 deer andtwo Elk with the Snypers. My setup is a Mathews Q2 28 inch draw and ~350 grain total arrow weight.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:19 PM

I would have to recommend the Grim Reapers for an expandable. I have been using this broadhead for going on 4 years now w/ fantastic results. They offer it from a 85gr. to a 125gr. weight. They are very reliable and durable. I almost switched to another brand to try on bear a couple of weeks ago and decided at the last minute to stick with the Reapers and I'm glad I did. It made very short work of my bear and took him down within 20yds. I like those short distance recoveriesGood Luck on your decision.... www.grimreaperbroadheads.com
Old 09-04-2006, 04:35 PM

Whats the min. speeds I should be shooting to shoot an expandable?

Quick Reply: Expandables....Recommend One?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.