Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another Warning.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Another Warning.

First off I know better so if something worse would of happened it was on me. I was finishing up hanging my stands and clearing lanes. The last spot was my climber stand soI cleared the area and thought I would take it up to make sure. I did it without a safety belt. I got up there about 30 feet and everything looked great. Sat there and enjoyed the view for a bit took a few pics and thought I would head down. About my second move down my feet sliped out of the strap and the bottom went falling. I had the bottom tied off with one of them ropes you use to pull up your bow. Those are not heavy enough. The rope nearly snaped when the bottom reached is length. It was hanging by a few strands and I'm about 25 feet in the air sitting on the bar of the top part. FirstI would say my rope was about 10 inches to long. I could just barely get the toe of my boots to the bottom of the climber so I could try and get it back up. Well it was almost a panic situation butI finally managed to get the bottom back up and get down. Overview.
1. I was dumb for not having my safety harness on. It will never happen again.
2. I reccomend at least a 3/8ths inch rope to hook thetop to bottom of climber.
3. Only allow enough slack in your rope so that you can reach the bottom of the climber easliy while sitting on the top of the climbers bar.
4. Don't panic if you find yourself in a simular situation. Even if you have your harness on its not a fun situation to be in. Stay calm and think it thru.
5. Have cell phone in your pocket so you can get help if you find yourself hanging from a tree. ( I had the cell, got luckyI didn't need it.)
Guys, I'm 230 pounds, let me tell youI don't know how long I could have set on that one inch bar. After about 5 minutes it was painfull. Hope my dumbness makes one of you smarter. Chris
Old 09-04-2006, 01:00 PM

Default RE: Another Warning.

glad to know your okay, and everyone should always wear a safety belt. for how long it takes to put on a safety harness, why not do it, it will save you life so you can live to hunt another day.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ouch, Yes I now trim branches with my belt on. If not I wouldhave taken a tumble.

Glad your safe, weneed Motownhonkey is this world.
My Lonewolfclimber has the cool straps on bothsides. The are adjustible an work great. I wonder if you can get them?
Old 09-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Typical Buck

I had the same thing happen to me 2 yeas ago. Being 270 myself I understand the pain of that 1 inch bar. Glad your ok
Old 09-04-2006, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

Good post . Hope folks that use climbers will take notice .
Old 09-04-2006, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad you are ok. We tend to take things for granted, don't we?
Old 09-04-2006, 02:38 PM

Glad you got down ok Motown!
I have never used a safety belt with a climber while going up or down(I know, I know) but I will now.
Thanks for the warning!
The Antler Mafia needs you.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:38 PM

Hindsight is always 20/20, Mo.

Chances are, the majority of us wouldn't have thought to take a harness up with us. It's just not something we tend to worry about. I know that 9 times out of 10 when I'm hanging a stand, my harness doesn't go around the tree until after I've got the stand hung. Why? Don't know. I'm always just busy putting the stand up and don't think about it.

Good warning though, its definitely appreciated. I'm glad it wasn't any worse than what it was.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

Glad you're okay.
Be safe everyone.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

glad you are ok...My cousin died 8 years ago when he fell from his stand. I try to be extra careful.

Quick Reply: Another Warning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.