Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pendulum Sights? >

Pendulum Sights?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pendulum Sights?

Old 08-30-2006, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pendulum Sights?

I am in the market for a new sight. I have a buddy who shoots a savage pendulum sight and he swears by it. I currently shoot a tru glo three pin sight However, I am thinking about buying a pendulum. I am confused and need help making a decision. I don't have much time the first day of bow season in central Illinois is Oct. 1. Any info and opinions on a good pendulum sight would be appriciated. However I would also like any negative feedback as well. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
Old 08-30-2006, 02:54 PM

Default RE: Pendulum Sights?

I have never owned anything but a Keller and I love it but have heard nothing but good things about savage predator4 pemdulum. Here is a pic of my set up with my keller on an HHA slider so I set it at 30 yrds for treestand use when the pin swings free and when I lock the pin down, I can shoot from the ground , 20 yrds to 70 yrds.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

I have a savage and love it
Old 08-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

which savage do you have
Old 08-30-2006, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pendulumsights are a useless gimmick designed to get hunters to part with their money. Think back to trigonometry class in high school. Remember the pythagorean theorem? The theorem can be used to tell you the actual distance to the deer if the horizontal distance and treestand height are known. The difference between the actual distance and the horizontal distance is less than one yard under normal bowhunting situations (ie 15 to 20 feet up and shots 30 yards or less).

For example if you are18 feet up in the airand the deer is 75 feet (25 yds) away from the base of your tree, the actual distance is 25.7 yards instead of 25. So your pendulum sight is "compensating" for that extra 0.7 yards. Big Deal. That's why pendulum sights are a bunch of BS in my opnion.

Just stick with a normal sight, bend at the waist, and practice from your treestand and you will be dead on.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

A lot depends on the type of hunting you do. Pendulums in my experience really let you hit exactly where you want from in tight(5yds) out to the max distance your bow will allow. (25-30+ yds) Proper form, and fixed pins out of a treestand are easily adjusted for, make sure you shoot at varying yards, as you could be off a few inches as you move out. For most that's not an issue but it is nice to know exactly where things hit.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're 20 feet up in the air and taking a 5 yard shot, the "effective" distance becomes8 yards instead of 5 yards. Either way, it's the same pin. Why do I need a pendulum sight for that?

Between 10 and 30 yards out you don't need a pendulum sight unless you plan on hunting 50 feet up in the tree or higher. The difference between horizontal distance and actual distance is about 5 yards IF you are hunting 50 feet high in the tree.

I don't know too many guys that go that high. [:-]
Old 08-30-2006, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just for kicks I made a table to show how useless pendulum sights are if you hunt 15 or 20 feet high like most guys. However, if you hunt 50 feet high in the tree they would make you more accurate.

Old 08-30-2006, 05:29 PM

gzg38b I beg to differ and so does my taxidermist .
Old 08-30-2006, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

goherd, I have the featherweight with the tritium pin.

Quick Reply: Pendulum Sights?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.