Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Nice doe setup

Old 08-30-2006, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default Nice doe setup

Here is my setup. There is a power line right of way behind my subdivision which runs downhill through a stream. The stream has lots of thick brush, and there is a definite trail from it. However, I have seen a doe with a fawn which seems to be bedding next to the powerlines uphill from the stream. I have found definite sign uphill from the bedding area, including a nice white oak. I plan to hunt near this white oak.. at least at the beginning of bow season, so I leave the rest of the area alone for a while. Then later on I will hunt the trail down near the stream.

Couple of questions. I was watching the doe one evening, and I was uphill about 60 yds. She was out of the trees under the powerlines. The wind was blowing down towards the doe, but she did not seem alarmed. She knew I was there because I think she had seen me first and was looking right at me fora while. Then she went back to feeding.
Is she getting used to me? I have been back there every weekend for about a month. If so, should I be concerned with the wind? The reason I ask is because I have heard stories about deer walking under stands and they know you are somewhere near but dont know exactly where. Does the fact that she has a fawn make a difference?
Obviously, when I go to my stand I want to be as quiet as I can, but I am trying to figure out how concerned I need to be with the wind.

Another question. Will the fawn be ok without the mother? If I can get both I will, but the fawn is obviously not a newborn.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Nice doe setup

To answer your question, you should be very concerned with the wind, concerned to the point that if the wind is even the slightest bit questionable, you shouldnt hunt that stand. The deer might let you get to 60 yards of it, but getting within 20 is an entirely different ball game. Also just because this one deer doesnt seem to mind, altough i think she will when you are hunting her ( deer seem to know when the are safe and arent[:@]) other deer will certainly know you are there if the wind is bad and wont come anywhere near you.

The fawn will be fine, take the momma if you get a chance and let the fawn go till next year. Good luck with them