Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bow upgrade, TomKat maybe? need some friendly advice >

Bow upgrade, TomKat maybe? need some friendly advice

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow upgrade, TomKat maybe? need some friendly advice

Old 08-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bow upgrade, TomKat maybe? need some friendly advice

For years I have need using a PSE Nova. Ok stop laughing, it gets the job done. Its time for a major upgrade. For the past several weeks I have went around to all the archery shops and test fired tons of bows. Taking price & performance into account, after much thought and some more test firing.... I think I have settled on a Bowtech TomKat. The damn thing just feels good, even compaired to more expensive bows. I'm no bow Guru, so what do you guys think? What is the TomKats reputation ? How do they hold up over time ? Any known issues ? How is Bowtech's warranty ?

any advice would be helpful
thx
Old 08-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bow upgrade, TomKat maybe? need some friendly advice

The Tomkat is one of the biggest sleepers in the archery industry period... let alone for BowTech. Think about this: An almost nine-inch brace height from a bow screaming arrows at up to 315 fps?!?! AND the advantages of binary cam technology which equalizes any imperfections in the system, AND the advantages of the interchangeable mods between smooth and speed? For the price, it's a freakin' awesome combination.

I helped work the BowTech booth at the Illinois Deer and Turkey expo this year, and one of the more common questions I kept fielding was "How can BowTech put all these features into a bow of this caliber, and only charge that price for it?"
Old 08-28-2006, 06:32 PM

I helped work the BowTech booth at the Illinois Deer and Turkey expo this year, and one of the more common questions I kept fielding was "How can BowTech put all these features into a bow of this caliber, and only charge that price for it?"
And what was your answer, by the way?

I'm no Bowtech fan, but I'll give you this.....A bow w/ a 9" brace height shooting that fast is......well..........amazing.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

I shot the tomkat for about a year and loved it, not sure on the warranty but I shot a ton of arrows thru it and it stood up very well. I had some issues with vane clearance that I could have taken care of, but I was a newbie then. Great setup, feels good, shoots good, and you cant beat the price tag.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

About 3 months ago, I decided I needed an upgrade from my old bow.
I went to the Pro Shop and told them I wasn't set on any particular brand and as long as it was less than $800, price didn't matter. I did want to shoot the Trykon and either an 05 Bowtech Liberty or a 06 Diamond Liberty (Supposed to be one the smoothest bows out). Well I shot the Trykon, a V-Tec, ViperTec, both liberty, alliagence, etc. I shot 10 different bows. The last bow I shot was the 06 Tomkat with the smooth mods. To me, it was as quiet and smooth as the Liberty (or any of the bows for that fact) Plus it was quite a bit faster to boot, even with the smooth mods. And it came with a WB which I am still using and like, I replaced the sights with a better set. And it was quite a bit cheaper too.
I really liked 4 of the bows (3 being Bowtech's) but I could not distinguish a difference between the Tomkat or the higher priced bow's. Everyone is different though.

So I bought the 06 Tomkat and am very glad I did. There's nothing I dont like about this bow. Its fast, quiet, and accurate.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:17 PM

Well I got a 05 tomkat last year and I love it soo much!!!!!