Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The stand "itch" >

The stand "itch"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The stand "itch"

Old 08-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The stand "itch"

Well fellas went out this past weekend to hang all the new stands on some new peice of property with my father and brother in law.........what a great time! Through all the excitement of picturing a booner walking down certain shooting lanes I FAIL TO NOTICE ALL THE POISON IVY all around my new stands. I am paying the price right now two days later. My face is covered and my arms are plastered with streaks of ivy. THe only thing I can hope for is "This year better be worth it!"............. I went to the doctors this morning for a shot and the pills but are there any other home remedies out I might try to prevent the dreaded plant in the future!
Old 08-28-2006, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: The stand "itch"

That deffinatly sucks but hopefully it will pay of come oct. I get posion ivy extremly bad aswell. So ino what your goin thro.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Poison Ivy SUCKS! I just got over a nasty case on my legs from playing golf (couldn't hit the fairway!) Whatever clothes you had on at the time throw them away. The oil can re-infect you for up to a year later, even after washing the clothes. If you plan on hunting that spot I'd wear knee high rubber boots with my pants tucked in and DO NOT let the boots touch your skin or anything that may later contact your skin.

As far as remedies, the only thing that felt good was soaking it in an ice cold bath tub. Fill it with ice cubes and cold water.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:03 PM
Spike

NO DOUBT poison ivy is nasty , my family use's Naptha soap to wash up with right after getting out of the woods (do this right away) also use the Naptha soap in your washing machine when you wash your cloths ,then run your cloths through again with regular landry soap.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

that sucks . somewhere i read that deer will eat poisen ivy so maybe it will work out for you later . Good luck
Old 08-28-2006, 06:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Gin, don't drink it, though it does help in a Martini, rub it on the area to help it dry out.

My hunting buddy grew up in Ca. No poison Ivy out there. He hung a lock on including steps in a tree covered with it. He spent two days in the hospital recovering from it because he got it in his lungs. So it could have been worst.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:40 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

Whatever clothes you had on at the time throw them away.
Dang man, If I threw away every piece of clothing that ever touched poison ivy, I'd be naked all the time.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

I must be one of the lucky ones. I could roll around in the stuff naked and not get a bit of it. Sorry to hear you got the itch.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

The oil lasting on the clothes is a myth. If you know you've been in contact w it wash with warm soap and water. Launder the clothes they'll be alright. The usual calamine /hydrocortizone works for the itch. A really severe spot can be treated with a dab of laundry bleach and it will scab over in a day. Don't scratch it. and it isn't contagious from one person to another.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

The doctor will see you now. Good tip on the bleach, sadly I'm sure I will be trying it.

Quick Reply: The stand "itch"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.