Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is there an article that talks about safety rope,prusik hitch? >

Is there an article that talks about safety rope,prusik hitch?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is there an article that talks about safety rope,prusik hitch?

Old 08-28-2006, 02:28 PM

Default Is there an article that talks about safety rope,prusik hitch?

I'm wondering what materiala safety rope should be made of,nylon ect:
I have a Hunter's Safety System vest but that only works once your in your stand.It doesn't have loops at the bottom to use a lineman's rope.
I know how to tie a Prusic hitch and connect it to a safety rope.Could I then tie the other end to the loop at the top of my safety vest?
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is there an article that talks about safety rope,prusik hitch?

Only use a braided climbing style rope that is rated for human support....
Old 08-28-2006, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

TAKH

I just bought a climbing harness with the hip rings, climbing beltand a ring in the center of the back - I tied my own prussic hitch and clip it right to the rear D-Ring. I don't know about hooking it to the vest - the seams might fail in a fall. If there's any doubt in your mind, you should probably invest in something with a rear loop designed specifically to handle that kind of load - or give it a field test.

You'll need rope that withstand several times your bodyweight and has some elasticity, because if you are free-falling for a few feet before the rope tightens, the force required to stop your fallwill increase exponentially.

Good climbing rope is available at REI.com but I got mine at Tractor Supply - it's not necessarily made for climbing, not quite as soft, but it was a little cheaper and it does the job - you can still tie good knots with it. It's rated around 1/2 ton and consists of several materials- basically a cotton shell with nylon guts.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:52 PM

Should I go to a store that specializes in mountain,rock climbing?
Old 08-28-2006, 03:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Summit sells a three pack of what you're looking for for $89.00.

Includes (3) ea.

Tie the rope at bottom of tree........tie at top.......utilize prussic to ascend/descend.

Jeff
Old 08-28-2006, 04:12 PM

The loop on the safety vest is what I hook to when I'm in my tree stand.It's designed to hold your weight in case of a fall.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

takeakidhuntin, absolutely, simply go to a store specializing in mt. climbing, ropes like that are not hard to come by and you've got the right idea.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

I would recommend you go buy a Summit climbing system like the Seat of the pants. They come with a safety line with a prusic knot on it already. I love that knot. Grabs quick and has saved my butt once.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:10 PM

Can anyone post a link to how to tie a prussic(sp) knot?
Old 08-28-2006, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Prussic Knot

The prussic knot is formed from a loop of 6-8 mm static rope tied together with a double fisherman’s knot. The knot is formed around a length of thicker static rope and is used to provide friction to the thicker rope. The prussic loop should always be much thinner than the rope it is been tied around. The use of prussic knots is described in detail in other areas of the text. This section is intended only as an instruction on how to tie it.

The prussic knot is tied by forming a "larks foot" around the main rope and then feeding the prussic loop back through the loop several times. The number of times that the rope is passed through, changes the amount of friction that is produced. Passing the loop through 3 times in generally adequate. Using to many or to few loops will reduce the holding power of the knot

After the knot has been tied it should be tightened up by individually rotating each loop. It is important that the knot is tied, as it will have little holding power if it is loose.

Quick Reply: Is there an article that talks about safety rope,prusik hitch?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.