Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
I lost my deer man I can't find it..Any advice..? >

I lost my deer man I can't find it..Any advice..?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I lost my deer man I can't find it..Any advice..?

Old 11-08-2002, 12:24 AM

Default I lost my deer man I can't find it..Any advice..?

I shot A nice 8 pointer tonight I aimed for right behind the showlder..But the darn buck jump ahead and I hit him in the butt..There is A blood trail really red blood (ALOT OF BLOOD)..
Well we tracked and cept getting alot of blood then A drop here and A drop there then we would get alot again then A little ..Then it got late and the blood kinda stopped so I came home..check again tommorrow..

Brent Schroeder
Old 11-08-2002, 12:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I lost my deer man I can't find it..Any advice..?

Well , it might be too late , but if you know you made a bad shot the best thing to do is go back in the morning. If there was alot of blood you may have hit an artery and you may find him in the morning.
Good luck!

<---Doug---<<<
Old 11-08-2002, 12:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

best of luck!
Old 11-08-2002, 12:44 AM
Fork Horn

I guess that makes you a crack shot. Sorry I couldn't help it.

Never trail a deer hit poorly until 3 hours at least have gone by. Chances are the deer is pushed a very long way now. It sounds like it wasn't critically hurt and bleeding only without vital damage may plug itself long enough to let the buck get away and even possibly recover.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:46 AM

Oh Im waited 5 hours...

Brent Schroeder
Old 11-08-2002, 06:16 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-08-2002, 06:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

shredm I hope you have already gone back out to look for him, if you caught an artery he will probably be bled out by now. You need to go to the place you found the last blood and start doing a circle search looking in the thickest nastiest stuff you see. Start the circles 10 yards out from the last blood and keep making thew circles larger and larger, if you find more blood restart your search there. If it is legal you may want to take a dog with you. You owe it to the deer to make every effort to find it.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 11-08-2002, 06:41 AM

Everyone else has given good advise but I wanted to add two other &quot;next day&quot; deer searching tools. Ask other hunters in the area if they saw a wounded/limping deer this morning. Hint: check the local diner/coffee shop.

Assuming the deer is dead, look for buzzards in the sky over the woods you hunt. Their sense of smell is amazing and they don't waste time.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let us know how you made out... I hit one the other night, one lung and liver and guts, left it overnight, went back the next day , no blood trail due to high winds and rain, but managed to find the deer whithin 125 yards just by zig-zaging throught the rea he was headed. Don't give up too easily!
Old 11-08-2002, 10:59 AM

The ham shot is the only shot that tracking it immediately may be the best thing. It is a muscle, artery wound and pushing the deer can prevent clotting and increase both movement and blood flow to that area - thus increasing blood loss. Only do this if you are an experienced tracker and know the land well.

Do not take this as a smash but...Never instantly blame a bad shot on the deer. It is very unlikely the buck movement after the shot put your arrow into his but. Deer do not jump forward at the sound they recoil and drop straight down. Unless it was a very long shot I would investigate why my arrow did not hit where I wanted it too.

The best of luck finding him

Quick Reply: I lost my deer man I can't find it..Any advice..?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.