Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Dabow tower is now open >

Dabow tower is now open

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dabow tower is now open

Old 08-27-2006, 10:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Dabow tower is now open

Last year from a distance I watched bucks hit the pond on my land on a regular basis.There were no trees around it for a stand. I ruled out a ground blind because it set down in a bowl and I worried about swirling wind. I decided to build a tower blind that would work for bowhunting. We (Ladybowhunter and me) first built the tower using all treated wood and elevator brackets.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dabow tower is now open

I decided to prefabricate the walls and trusses at home. We used a gray base paint and than used flat black and brown spray paint for the skyline cammo effect

Old 08-27-2006, 11:11 PM
Dominant Buck

I hope there's more and I hope your season doesn't start for some time. That is truly a LIGHT.,,,,NEON LIGHT!!! God what an eyesore on the face of hunting grounds. If you intend to use this I hope you plan to add some cover.[8D]
Old 08-27-2006, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trusses ready to install. I loaded the four walls and trusses on a flat trailer and hauled them to site

Old 08-27-2006, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

One major screw up on my part was making the floor 4 ft. x 6 ft. I than realized four feet is not enough room to draw a bow back. After a little study we found that five foot would be needed. Not wanted to pull it down and start over I decided to improvise and angle the walls outward. I used and angle that gave me a five foot wide demension at waist height and six feet at the top. Not being a carpenter or architect I was a bit worried about how it would come together. We put the four walls together on the driveway and they fit pretty good. But when we finally were able to pull them up the tower with a rope they fit like a glove. I was amazed at myself (Lucky no doubt).

Old 08-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Putting the roof on. If you look closely you can see the wood screws sticking up. I started them on the ground to make it easier on the roof. Topped it off with standard roofing shingles. From the ground to the floor of the blind is 12 feet. Its twenty feet to the peak of the roof.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:36 PM
Typical Buck

Heck, not too bad man! I'd hunt it..
Old 08-27-2006, 11:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty much completed in this pic. All four sides have the removable window panels. The side with the door has the removable panel built into the door. When in use you just turn the buttons that hold the panels in, slide them out and place them against the wall. I am ordering shoot thru mesh to place in the windows. They do sell it in a size that is perfect for these windows. The entire inside is painted black. You can see the cables running to the ground anchors. They are on all four sides. As you can see in some of the pics it was a dark overcast day, threatening to rain at any moment I felt rushed to get er done. I had just finished the roofing and was inside working on minor details when I heard a mighty rushing wind. I quickly got out and we jumped in the truck. Hail and winds in excess of 60 mph were giving the stand a test right off the bat. Amazingly not even a shingle came off (they had no time to self seal yet). Future improvement plans call for central heat and air, microwave and satellite tv (just kidding).
I have not added up the receipts yet but would hazard a guess at about 500 dollars.

Old 08-28-2006, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nicely done! I am considering either building or buying a tower for my place as well. I hunt a cclearcut in the UP and now it has grown up a bit and a tower would be real handy to have in there.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I WANT ONE! Good job dabow!

Quick Reply: Dabow tower is now open

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.