Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tale of woe lost deer, help >

Tale of woe lost deer, help

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tale of woe lost deer, help

Old 08-26-2006, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default Tale of woe lost deer, help

A tale of woe, Opening day for deer in Oregon today and I was out bright and early with lots of bow practice under my belt To keep this short I heard some deer about 70 yards or so behind me and moved along a quiet dirt path towards the apparent crossing. It is really thick here less than 20 yards mostly. The deer worked their way down hill to me and one presents a broad side at 10 yards with a small bit of brush close to her and about 7 yards from me. I am surprised to get my bow up aimed and let fly thunk I hit a tree about 6 feet out and 2 feet to the right of the aim path. I’m thinking what the *** and manage to fit another arrow and let fly, thunk another tree to the right. Looking at the bow I notice the left of 3 arrow guides silencer rubber tube is about off and apparently guiding my arrow severely to the right. I push it back on and the deer is still looking at me broadside at 10 yards which amazes me. I shoot again and the deer moves off. Oh the rubber guide is now gone. The Blacktail deer snorts back from 30 yards or so, at which distance I can’t see her. Snorted ad longer and longer distances four more times. I say snort but it sounded like wheezing and I figured she was coughing up blood. Any way after 3 hours of trailing no arrow no blood and no sign. I used all the wood craft of 56 years and still no sign. Any thoughts? What about the snorting is this normal for blacktail? The snorting gave me a pretty straight line of travel to follow and I hit all the trail forks.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tale of woe lost deer, help

The snorting gave me a pretty straight line of travel to follow and I hit all the trail forks.
I've never known a deer that was "hit" to snort or neccesarily stay on "the trail"

If the deer was hit hard enough that she was moving slowly and coughing up blood surely some blood would have been found

Any way after 3 hours of trailing no arrow no blood and no sign.
Hopefully, you never hit that deer. It would have probably been best not to shoot (after the first two times) until you made sure your equipment was again functioning properly on a non-living target.

Old 08-26-2006, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

That wasn't a snort it was laughter. No offence man but make sure your stuff is right as soon as you get in stand. No blood = no hit.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:37 PM

Holy cow.....these are starting already? Good luck.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

sounds like you didnt hit her....arrow probably burried in the leaves or brush somewhere...id go back and look for it for reassurance. i agree after 2 bad shots and then finding the problem i wouldnt shot again..but would probably threw my bow at it. i know the temptation of a 10yd shot was there.

mobowhunter....im dying at your comment. i didnt wanna click this thread..we all read enough of them...but who knows...maybe ill have to post one of these....maybe you guys can help me(or anyone) find a deer some day...hey atleast the guys that post these are TRYING. although we all hate to read them we can atleast try to help....
Old 08-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

I wasn't asking for condensending opinion. After 70 or so deer i had checked the equipment before leaving or was a 100 or so shots this week not enough for ya. Thought I had fixed the problem. I really would like you to be in the same shoes and then tell me to not shoot. I wonder why i got back on this site after years of help and helping others please keep cheep shots to your perfect selves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
Old 08-26-2006, 05:44 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with Phil
As one of the first members on this site, I can remember a forum that would lend its "ear" to a poster who made a mistake and was asking for help...now it seem as if you dont make the perfect hit on the perfect hunt, you shouldnt post here????

To put it simply, hearing about someone elses mistake may prevent me from making the same mistake...

Lets not start another season of slamming the folks on here for coming here for help....

Old 08-26-2006, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can remember a forum that would lend its "ear" to a poster who made a mistake and was asking for help...
OK--then what advice do you offer???

-Look Hard
-try to find blood
-look harder
-exhaust all options
-go home

I did not mean to be condescending (if it was perceived like that). From the story,I was unsure of Phil's experience level and actually thought he was a beginning bowhunter. Now I think he just had "doe fever"

Plus itsounds like the arrow probably did not connect from the description as he did not mention seeing the deer actually "hit", and everything else he mentioned.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

I don't knowthat I'veever heard a deer snort or wheeze after it was hit - I have heard others snort close by afterIhitone any chance of a different one snorting and the one you were shooting at going a different direction - you did say it was pretty thick.
But if the one you were shooting atwasstanding there snorting, wheezing or whatever, you would have found some blood if it was hit.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I think you missed.

Quick Reply: Tale of woe lost deer, help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.