Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting Public Land >

Hunting Public Land

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Public Land

Old 08-25-2006, 01:16 PM
Spike

Default Hunting Public Land

Ok...Have only been hunting for 2 years (bow hunting)and got a doe my first year. That was on a cheep bow hunt in south texas that I will also go on this year. I have not been able to find a affordable lease so I am going to hunt on public land not 5 minutes from my house. I have a friend that hunted this land 3 years ago and says there are some big deer on it. Scouted it alittle last year and ran across a lot of sign. Doesn't appear that there are too many people that huntthissmall piece ofland either. Started scouting more this week and will continue until season. Goingto try to post pictures of my season on this land. Maybe will at least see somethingbig. Or maybe I will bore everyone to death.

By the way... this is my first post ever on a forum and just found this website andI amenjoyingall the information for a fairly new hunter. Willexcept any advise for hunting this land also.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:18 PM

Default RE: Hunting Public Land

Welcome aboard. Don't be shy to jump into any conversations.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:19 PM

Welcome to the forums cj!

I hunt alot of public land in VA and I am fairly successful I would say. Bow season around here is heaven. I don't see too many people bowhunting this land but rifle is a different story. Alot of hunters will not go far from their truck so you should use this to your advantage. I'm not saying that you have to be far from the road to kill a nice one either.

I would hunt where you found all the sign. Sounds like a pretty good spot.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

nice to have you here on the forums,

There is nothing wrong with hunting public land, it definately harder than private, but if you do your homework it can be just as productive. I hunt public and private land every year public land deer are way tougher but its a great experience though.Usually on private land when you kill one its not a long drag or you can drive your truck/atv,or boat right up to it and its done and over with quickly.But if you kill one way back on public alnd its an all day process.If you shoot one late in the day it will be midnight before you get it out where i hutn sometimes, but thats the way deer hunting should be...HARD
Old 08-25-2006, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

welcome aboard!!

as ducsauce said around here bowhunting is the way to go. i dont know much about texas, but here public land gets raided hard. exspecially rifle season. this is my first year bowhunting but every year on public land i see NICE bucks when im small game or fall turkey hunting(which is also bow season for deer!) so im pretty excited.

my advice..try to hunt places the normal man would not go. here that means hiking over an extra mountain or deep into a bottom etc. you gota think like a "weekend warrior" as i call them, and then OUT think that. think like a deer. where would you hang out to feel safe?? if there is small game and fall turkey hunting where you hunt and you find alot of guys do that where you plan to hunt set up so they drive the deer your direction. find bottlenecks and funnels. find their exscape routes. find their sancuaries and bust them! the state game lands i plan to hunt this fall is a popular grouse and turkey spot. if im not IN the thickets watching runways then im going to be right on the edge of the thickets trying to intercept fleeing deer. after you hunt the land enough youll find out how many guys hunt there. what they are hunting. where they access..the paths they take etc. my closest spot on public land is about a half a mile hike. the reason being is that is where the backside of the thicket is. good luck..dont scout it out TOO hard youll end up running the deer off before you get to hunt(but your season might start later then ours...you may be early enough..i wouldnt scout within a month of so of the season though..
Old 08-25-2006, 01:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Go where the others don't ,hunt when they don't , and you'll drag out deer off of land that they'll swear has none . I've hunted mostly public land most of my life , once you get away from where you see trash on the ground you'll probably be the only one there . Then look for the thick stuff and hunt the edges , bring a cart .
Old 08-25-2006, 01:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Welcome aboard.

Have a chat with your local DNR that patrols the place. They can tell you where most people hunt and where they see most of the deer.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt public land with my rifle and i hunt private with my bow. Good luck it's alot funner than game farms
Old 08-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Spike

I appreciate all the quick advise. Good thing is that I am in a bow hunting only county and when muzzle loader season and rifle season get here the lands clear out fast. I will keep you updated if I see anything.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hi cjhaley

Welcome to the best hunting site on the web , you are really going to enjoy all the forums from bowhunting to the classifieds and everything in between this site has it all.
Feel free to post your pictures and ask your questions , everybody here will be happy to help you and see your pics.

Quick Reply: Hunting Public Land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.