HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Backyard Ranges, or any Ranges? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/153077-backyard-ranges-any-ranges.html)

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-22-2006 03:33 PM

Backyard Ranges, or any Ranges?

To couple the Practice Routine thread, I thought I'd share with everyone where I practice and want to see where all you practice. I think we did this before but being close to the season we can do it again...and ya'll can up your post count.;)

Anyways, my back yard looking off my deck at 20 yards....I move the deer and turkey all over the place.

Zoomed in from 20 yards off 10' high deck.

Now, let's see yours!

bloodcrick 08-22-2006 03:39 PM

RE: Backyard Ranges, or any Ranges?

very nice place Rob. bet its nice shooting off the deck eh!!
Dan;)

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-22-2006 03:41 PM

Yes bloodcreek, it is indeed. Hey, I just popped a cold one, I'm throwing steaks on the grill and then doing a little shootin, wanna come up?;)

MN_Deerman 08-22-2006 03:42 PM

See a couple spine shots there....;):D. BTW did you get a little trigger happy with the rifle on the deer head? [8D]

mobow 08-22-2006 03:44 PM

Be right there, Rob!! I'll bring desert!!

(Why dontcha just rub a little salt on that wound....sheesh.....lol) :D;)

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-22-2006 03:46 PM

MMmmm and I just started stir frying some mushrooms in butter, cracker boy and a little Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce..Mmmm

mobow 08-22-2006 03:52 PM

Yer killin me buddy, yer killin me......Ooops.....I've done it again, haven't I....Hijacked another one....sorry.

ddeblance 08-22-2006 03:53 PM

Nice place to shoot. My yard is just under three acres. Have plenty of back yard to shoot in. I haven't shot off the back deck, but I shoud start. I would take pictures but my tractor has been in the shop and the grass is about knee deep!! I shoot anyway. Makes it more realistic... Atleast that's what I tell my wife!! LOL...

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-22-2006 03:57 PM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Yer killin me buddy, yer killin me......Ooops.....I've done it again, haven't I....Hijacked another one....sorry.
Hey, if I have a couple more cold ones, you might just be able to out shoot me...but then again....[8D]

ddeblance, good one..:D and thanks.

Steaks are done, mushrooms are tender, fridge is fool of cold ones, new pups nose is in sensory overload, wife is at her business making money.....priceless. ;)

bloodcrick 08-22-2006 04:01 PM

I will be up later. Im sitting at the power plant on break right now waiting on 6 oclock.:eek: I live in southern Indiana so it will be early in the morn before i get there. you will still be up wont ya!!:D:D
Dan
ps: is it BYOB OR NOT:)

mobow 08-22-2006 04:02 PM

Hey, if I have a couple more cold ones, you might just be able to out shoot me...but then again....[8D]
If you're shooting your Allegiance, the cold ones may just HELP.....:D:D

Washington Hunter 08-22-2006 04:16 PM

So Rob, when do you plan on inviting me out there to show you how we shoot out West?

SIDEWAYS 08-22-2006 04:23 PM

Here is a picture from thecheapy ladder stand I haveset up in my back yard with 4 and a half 3D deer set up at various distances. (only 2 decoys in the pic)
Yes I have 1/2 of an old decoy left that I have set up almost underneath the ladder stand for that extremely close shot. [8D]

ddeblance 08-22-2006 04:28 PM

Half a 3D deer huh,..... hey whatever it takes!!

smokyghost 08-22-2006 04:34 PM

hey ill be there with a 12 pack and a couple pds of shrimp..very beautiful looking place you have there, nice setup. good luck this yr

MGH_PA 08-22-2006 04:37 PM

Hey Rob, nice looking place. How many acres do you have? Are you in the valley close to the river? I drive through there during my summer job as a bulk mail carrier (I stop at the muncy post office). The stretch of 414/44 from Watsontown all the way through to Muncy is really nice.

rybohunter 08-22-2006 04:39 PM

Here's my yard/range.

I'll have to take a pic from my stand I have setup also. Nice and easy, 20 feet out the back door.

Washington Hunter 08-22-2006 04:47 PM

Boy am I jealous of those of you who are able to just step out back and shoot! It's illegal to shoot our bows in residential areas around here.

Not like it would matter anyhow, all I'd be able to shoot is 15 yards.

Hunter06FlKy 08-22-2006 04:52 PM

i have a range set up in my back and sideyard that goes out to 40 yards. if i want to shoot from an elevation i have to get up on my roof but i have a nice flat roof to shoot from.

ddeblance 08-22-2006 04:53 PM

Rybohunter, I sure feel sorry for the person that comes walking around the side of that house!!

Washington, it's alright... I'm jealous of all the hunting everyone seems to be doing, while I'm stepping out my backdoor to "practice"!!!

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-22-2006 05:29 PM

Great looking ranges guys...hope to see more...

Well, my belly's full, my thirst quenched and I just got in from shooting a couple dozen arrows. Here's my last 5 from off the deck.

Disclaimer: Of course I would never shoot a whitetail in the head, that would not be ethical. I was aiming for the hole a bee had dug into the target....And it appears as if I could tweak my 20 up and left bringing it down and right....but that was enough tonight...my thirst came back. ;)

Rhody Hunter 08-22-2006 05:57 PM

Rob your sure have a nice set up. I think we are all jealous

rybohunter 08-22-2006 06:05 PM

dde blance,
That's my garage. No one coming out from behind it. All is safe.

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-22-2006 07:54 PM

Rhody, no need, it's just a back yard with some targets...thanks..

rybohunter, looks like a great range, nice versatility in targets.

Finch 08-22-2006 07:57 PM

Nice setup Rob!

Thats what I miss about my parent's place, a nice place to shoot. Now I am in a residential section that won't let me shoot. Good news though, today was my first day at the archery club I just signed up with. Indoor/ outdoor, 24/7. :)

So where is the indoor range and the bowshop.;)

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-22-2006 07:59 PM

Bowshop is in the basement, not totally setup cause the garage isn't done but I have the stuff...lol

Indoor range, same place but it's only 16 1/3 yards..LOL

Congrats, ranges like that are hard to come by...keep in good standings.

Greg / MO 08-22-2006 08:14 PM

Good shootin' buddy!

Rick James 08-22-2006 08:38 PM

Your a lucky man Rob to have that in your backyard. Someday we are gonna have to meet up when I am in PA and either hunt or shoot some 3D's together.

Unfortunately I have to travel to my shooting spots, but I do have access to some awesome facilities though so I can't complain. The local club (3-4 miles away) has a 14 lane indoor 20 yard range that is heated and has the best lighting I have ever seen for indoor spots, 10/20/30/40/50 yard bags outside, a full 14 target nfaa field course, and 30 3D's. The shop I have 15 yards indoors which is perfect for blank bale and aiming drills. Then the most awesome facility I have ever been to is the Archery Barn which my co-worker lives at about half an hour from me. This is where I got coached last season before I switched coaches, and where I did a lot of my shooting last winter. They have an indoor heated range that goes to 60 yards, we shoot 540 rounds in there and general practice at 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 yards. It also has 2 seperate indoor 20 yard ranges, a dart video system, an outdoor 20 target 3D course, and a full 40 target 90 meter FITA field that has held the last 2 years of NYS Star FITA championships on 40 or so acres. There are enough 60X NFAA, and 450 score vegas targets in there that the wall is literally covered the whole way down and 9 feet up on both sides of the one indoor 20 yard range. IT's an awesome site. There are even a few 45X vegas 3 spot targets on the wall in there.

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-22-2006 08:45 PM

Thanks Greg

Rick James, (Matt) You have got to have some of the best opportunities for versatile shooting of anyone I have ever heard of. I can't travel in any direction and have all that. There are several indoor lanes available over winter via a few small shops and also Gander MT...Nothing more than 20 yard indoors. About 40 minutes from me has indoor 3D out to 30 yards....

Anytime your near here, bring the bow, we'll figure something out. The first Sunday of every month there is a great shoot nearby...every Sunday there is one somewhere....worst case, I'll shoot with you and Matt and APAjaws in Harrisburg next winter/spring show.

GMMAT 08-23-2006 06:54 AM

Mine looks like sideways......down to the cheapo 15' ladder stand ;).

We have a 3 acre homesite (surrounded by 24 acres of unihabited woods on each side)......with only 1 acre being "open". Our(son and I)ladder stand is off the driveway .....and in the woods. We move the 3D's and blocks around to different locations.....and to simulate different conditions (this is also a GREAT time to help jr. with shot selction....and to show him which shots are and are not ethical).

Good post.

Jeff

MN_Deerman 08-23-2006 07:01 AM

ORIGINAL: SIDEWAYS

Here is a picture from thecheapy ladder stand I haveset up in my back yard with 4 and a half 3D deer set up at various distances. (only 2 decoys in the pic)
Yes I have 1/2 of an old decoy left that I have set up almost underneath the ladder stand for that extremely close shot. [8D]

Thats a great setup Sideways, you can't get much more real world than that.

ash2042 08-23-2006 07:05 AM

nice ranges

chucker34 08-23-2006 08:00 AM

"Rybohunter, I sure feel sorry for the person that comes walking around the side of that house!!"

Ha ha. I have to warn my family of the same thing. Make sure you announce yourself if you walk out of the house into the practice range! I also make sure the neighbor isn't home when shooting as once or twice a year an errant arrow makes it into his yard.

Nice pics guys! Here is my backyard setup.

SIDEWAYS 08-23-2006 08:47 AM

This was a great thread to start Rob!
it is getting a ton of hits.
thanks for the comments guys!

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-23-2006 08:52 AM

Nice versatility chucker...

Wolf killer 08-23-2006 11:27 AM

I just bought a new home & two acres. This thread is just what I needed. Sorry I can not post any pictures. I have three targets set up in my back yard. 20-yards = Block Target, 30-yards = deer 3-d target, 40-yards = bag target. I need to buy & set up a few more targets.
I have been enjoying the freedom of shooting in my backyard.
I will BBQ moose burgers tonight in the back yard while I shoot my bow.:D

Saxman1819 08-23-2006 12:51 PM

I'll take some pictures one night soon when I get my targets set up for you to see. All your ranges are nice. I live in a townhome community so the only times I can shoot and not disturb others is right at dusk when the skeeters are out in full force and around 1 or 2 before anyone gets home from work.

Davoh 08-23-2006 01:23 PM

Those are some nice ranges guys. I hope to havea place where I can spread out like that someday.

Right now I'm in suburbia and can manage 10 yds from my back door to the back fence. Nothing but woods behind me so I'm ok in that direction. If I want to shoot furrther than that I go diagonally an can bet 23 yds from one corner to the other. Not to sure the neighbors will appreciate it, so I don't shoot those distances too often. I'm thinking of cutting out a range in the woods behind me, but they're the thickest mess of brambles and pine trees I've ever seen in my life.

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-23-2006 07:35 PM

Davoh, might be worth the effect to slice out a range...

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-27-2006 05:09 PM

Interested in seeing more ranges...give us some ideas...