Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What makes a good archery DVD? >

What makes a good archery DVD?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What makes a good archery DVD?

Old 08-22-2006, 01:02 PM

Default What makes a good archery DVD?

When shopping for hunting DVDs, what are some of the things you hope are included in the footage?

It is my dream/goal to at some point be able to produce archery only videos. I plan on purchasing a quality video camera sometime in the next year and begin filming for it by the start of next season. While it may take several seasons to aquire all the desired footage, I feel that it is a worthy endeavor.

The reason I am asking is because I know I have quite a few problems with the videos available on the market today. For one, I would like to see more archery only videos.

So, what are your concerns with the videos on the market as of now and what would you like to see in the videos you purchase?
Old 08-22-2006, 04:33 PM

Default RE: What makes a good archery DVD?

I agree with you that the majority of the hunting videos out there are less than satisfactory. I hate to admit it but the Truth series from Primos, especially the elk videos, are my favorite. I like a real hunting scenario without staged scenes and cheesy music. I little voice over from someone who is enthusiastic about the hunt and that's all I need. I hunt in Oregon and the Northwest is a different hunting culture than back east. Maybe I just don't understand them..........? The fact that they don't know how to hunt on the ground is a big part of it. They move around like their in a blind wiggling and turning their head while the animal is looking right at them. ??? When the buck or bull runs off they look at the camera and say "he must have winded us".

The Walmartpart of the market will buy any videothat has a little hype behind it but real hunters can tell if you don't know what you are doing.

Good luck on your videos.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:34 PM

not promoting scent lok like you couldnt harvest anything without it.
and poor shots that the hunters say are good, if you made a bad shot we can see might as well not try to cover it up just admit it.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with nw thunderstick. I like Primos the best, they don't have all of those set up scenes. Like looking down the barrel into the hunters eyes or finding the animal at the end of a blood trail, with the cameraman perched behind it. I also like their scenes on the cabin porch, these guys have a good time when they hunt with a little fun thrown in too. This ain't HOLLYWOOD and I like that.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:30 AM

Hi Dan,

Most videos today are largely vouyeristic, with little if any instructional element. Gun hunts are often included to broaden the commercial appeal of a video beyond just bowhunters.

I think there is a real shortage in the market for good quality instructional hunting videos.Many people are comming to hunting as adults and don't have family members or close friends that can instruct them. These new hunters often buy hunting videos hoping to pick up the information they need but often just get kill shot after kill shot and a bunch of "insider baseball" banter.

People also like to watch videos of the species they hunt on terrain that isn't too different from where they hunt. Elk videos are limited to the "big" states, leaving Washington and Oregon out. (ASP's "Season 2005: Rosevelt Elk" release notwithstanding). That means there is a market opportunity for regional Elk and Blacktail videos, along with the rest of the game species we have here.

Get a camera and a good tripod. Get some instruction. Get out in the woods and shoot animals in the offseason. Find some friends that are willing to do the same.

Good luck!

-- FLIX
Old 08-24-2006, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same feelings as you guys, so I started my own production company called "White Knuckle Productions", and this will be our first season of filming for the DVD. HuntingNet is the primary sponsor the video. All bow-hunting, all fair-chase, ZERO outfitted hunts......
Old 08-24-2006, 11:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: The Lone Wolf

I had the same feelings as you guys, so I started my own production company called "White Knuckle Productions", and this will be our first season of filming for the DVD. HuntingNet is the primary sponsor the video. All bow-hunting, all fair-chase, ZERO outfitted hunts......
Sounds great, I have not bought a video in 6 years. When it is for sale let us know. Yours will me my first purchase in 6 years.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

being realistic to the common hunter.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Replay the shot in slow motion after the animal runs off.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Show the animal go down!!!!!

(See my post in what you hate about hunting shows...)

I HATE it when someone makes a shot on a deer, he bolts off ... and just as he's starting to wobble (or in many cases a couple seconds before that, even) the camera pans quickly back to the hunter. I could care less what he looks like -- SHOW ME THE DEER GOING DOWN!!

(ok.. whew! got that off my chest again... )

Quick Reply: What makes a good archery DVD?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.