Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 West Virginia Bow Hunting >

West Virginia Bow Hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

West Virginia Bow Hunting

Old 08-22-2006, 12:51 PM

Default West Virginia Bow Hunting

This is a great place for Bow Hunting in West Virginia:
http://www.huntwva.com

Tony
Old 08-22-2006, 05:01 PM

Default RE: West Virginia Bow Hunting

Why in the world would you want to pay someone to hunt in West Virginia? Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of public land within the great mountain state but since the states DNR ruined the hunting in West Virginia by slaughtering all the does in recent years, it's NOT WORTH hunting there at all anymore. I am a West Virginian and I used to hunt in the northern (Monongalia, Preston, Marion, Harrison) counties until about 5 years ago I got smart. I was tired of setting in my treestand(s) for 6-8 hours and not even seeing a deer, alot of times on opening gun season as well. I then purchased an out-of-state hunting lisc. in Pennsylvania and enjoy the hunting much more since they (PA) have an antler restriction on their deer (bucks) unlike West Virginia where the states DNR lets you kill entirely too many deer and slaughter the does and ruin the hunting there.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are plenty of deer in WV in area's....and there are big bucks in this state as well. The last few years the DNR had gotten out of hand with all the permits to kill does, but this season it's back into reason, and it won't take but a year or two for the doe population to climb back up to what was par. I really wish WV DNR did set up a antler restriction program though...
Old 08-22-2006, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm the opposite. I live in PA, but do my hunting in Preston Co. See and shoot plenty of nice bucks each year.

ORIGINAL: UnionHUNTER

Why in the world would you want to pay someone to hunt in West Virginia? Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of public land within the great mountain state but since the states DNR ruined the hunting in West Virginia by slaughtering all the does in recent years, it's NOT WORTH hunting there at all anymore. I am a West Virginian and I used to hunt in the northern (Monongalia, Preston, Marion, Harrison) counties until about 5 years ago I got smart. I was tired of setting in my treestand(s) for 6-8 hours and not even seeing a deer, alot of times on opening gun season as well. I then purchased an out-of-state hunting lisc. in Pennsylvania and enjoy the hunting much more since they (PA) have an antler restriction on their deer (bucks) unlike West Virginia where the states DNR lets you kill entirely too many deer and slaughter the does and ruin the hunting there.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:50 PM
Dominant Buck

I've been tempted to hunt WV this year because of the deer I've seen over the 4th visiting my wife's hometown.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

It will be a cold day when I pay to hunt in WV. I've lived here all my life and up until 40 years ago, there wasn't a deer to be seen anywhere near Putnam County and now they're everywhere. There's so many WMA's in WV you shouldn't have to pay to hunt. I used to hunt Chief Cornstalk in Mason County and it was nothing to see 10 to 20 deer in a day. There got to be so many deer on my Dad's 30 acre farm that I just started hunting there. My brothers and I used to take as many as 8 deer off it every year and it still had plenty of deer the following season. One bad thing is there's getting to be a lot of posted land here and the deer are not getting hunted but killed on the highway instead.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:18 AM
Typical Buck

Hey you WV guys!!!! I'm in Fraziers Bottom, WV about four miles from Baffalo in Putnam county. Do you guys have any places that will allow me to hunt around the house????? 5 and 20 Mile Creek road runs by the house. I would like to be able to hop on the atv and go to some land close by. My hunting camp is a 1.5 hour drive and i'm working lots of OT so would LOVE to have somewhere close by to let the Tribute loose!!! I know about Cornstalk but that's a bit of a drive.....would like to have somewhere very close. I've been told most of the landowners on 5&30 miles will NOT let you set foot on there property [:@]

thanks for any ideas!!!
Old 08-23-2006, 07:22 AM
Dominant Buck

I would look in the backyards of your neighbors. If they back up to the big areas you've seen where people can hunt, all the better. The places I'm talking about are less then 10yrds in the woods off of peoples yrds. Most instances yrds extend 20 yrds into the woods and the deer prefer to hang close to the edges. The deer highways are incredable.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cartman308

I would like to be able to hop on the atv and go to some land close by.

thanks for any ideas!!!
Hey cartman308. Don't take this the wrong way but the ATV thing is one reason some people won't let others hunt. A few bad apples ripping the woods apart on their ATV's has caused a lot of people to post their property. Leave it at home and go knock on some doors and you may be suprised where you could gain access. Just a thought.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:14 PM

This is interested to hear both sides of the story. I hunt here in Florida, but this year I have been invited to hunt a 1600 acre lease in Wyoming County WV. Its a bow hunting only county and I would be most likely going around late oct.

I have heard its beautiful, and I hear there can be some great hunting. I want to go, but gas is going to run me a couple hundred plus out of state lisences....

Would it be worth it? Is WV overhunted? Or is it just like anywhere else? Anyone familiar with this area? ( i believe its south WV)

thank you

Quick Reply: West Virginia Bow Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.