Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

PA hunters

Old 11-07-2002, 11:28 AM
Spike

Default PA hunters

I was reading an article in NAH magazine about the new antler restrictions put in place by the Pennsylvania Game Commission. Sounds like a great idea. Perhaps a federalized QDMA(dont like that word federalized). It says here and I quote the article. "Antler restriction regulations will vary throughout the state. In a 10-county area of western Pennsylvania, hunters can only shoot bucks that have at least four points on one antler. In all other counties-except in special regulation area counties-hunters are limited to shooting bucks that have at least three points on one antler." In theory it sounds great, but, I think that all of the yearling bucks will be let go and the 1.5 year olds can be harvested. Loophole, perhaps, perhaps not. I just would like to read your thoughts on this.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: PA hunters

I think it is a great idea. The game commission had a survey that something like 80-90 percent of the bucks harvested in PA are yearling bucks. Most of those bucks are spikes,threes and four pints that average about 80-100lbs. Just think, give that buck just one or two more years and they will be alot nicer bucks. The big argument is that "we" as PA hunters should have the right to shoot anything we want. "WE" have been doing it for years. Alot of guys say that the game commission has no right to say what a trophy is. They say that a spike or a three point is a trophy in there book. But the simple fact is almost 80-90% of the bucks are harvested each year. THat is alot. So the Game commission is going for a more quality herd approach. And healthy forest. They have a plan to reduce the number of deer along with increasing the number of bucks, if that makes any sense. The commission increased the number of doe tags this year (1 million) i think. and wants to reduce the number of yearling bucks. In the long run what will happen, if everyone adheres to the rules, is that there MAY be fewer deer but when you see one it will more than likely be a nice buck (just because it was able to grow up) or a nicer doe because the competition for habitat was reduce and our forest are getting a chance to recover, i.e. browse lines. Anyway that is my speal. I hope that I have all my facts straight. That is just what I retatained from being at a Gary Alt seminar in York PA this summer. Anyone feel free to correct any mis-information.

LIFE MEMBER: United Bowhunters of PA, NAHC

Frank

Edited by - kidd642 on 11/07/2002 12:50:22
Old 11-07-2002, 12:12 PM
Spike

I'm for it! If I need to fill the freezer, does eat just as good. I hope people will give it a chance. I don't want to see us go to an earn-a-buck system, like NJ. I use to hunt NJ, you end up killing 60lb. does just so you can take a buck.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in southwestern PA and am affected by the 4 on one side restriction. I think it will do alot for our state because we dont have that many record bucks around. I have killed a decent 9 pt and my dad has a 120-130 class 8 pt ont he wall . One idea that was brought up that almost provented the restriction though was that it may drive youths away from hunting if they were out there first year and saw a nice forkhorn and werent able to shoot him . They resolved that problem by letting junior license holder ( people under 17 ) to harvest any buck with atleast 3 inch spikes. I took a mature 6 pt this season that jsut didnt have the geneticks we want for our farm hunting land . My dad took a nice 2 year old 9 point but thats the thing , even some young deer have 4 or 3 on one side so it isnt always totally effective. But for the most part i would bring it up at your local meetings and try to get it to pass . I will definatley help in the long run .

Doe meats better then No meat!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2002, 03:59 PM

I also live in Western PA, with DoubleLung55, and I feel that in the long run it will help produce bigger buck. The doe to buck ratio is way off what it should be, and the forests are overbrowsed. A couple more years on some of the buck I see, and I will get a true wall hanger.

Shots that are True....Pass right Through!!!
Old 11-07-2002, 05:25 PM

I live in S.Central Pa, and have been hunting for 5 years. In those five years i've only ever shot 2 does. But I tell you what. I was just as happy to shoot those does as i would have been to shoot a buck. See, unlike alot of hunters my age, I don't care about antlers. You can't eat the antlers. As long as I have meat for the year, i'm happy. So this new restriction is a big plus for me because it gives me even more of an opportunity to harvest a doe. And when I do have an chance to shoot a buck, i know it's going to be a nice one. So, I figure, Gary Alt knows more then we do about this, and he did wonders for our bear population, so I believe he can do it for our deer herd too! Good luck and be safe!

*Kill it an Grill it*