Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Low Acorn Crop

Old 08-21-2006, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Default Low Acorn Crop

Question from an HNI Visitor:

This year we are faced with a low acorn mass. How should I change my plans to hunt the deer this bow season?

Thanks.
Vincent in KY

Old 08-21-2006, 01:45 PM

Default RE: Low Acorn Crop

Depends on the area you hunt and what other food sources are in the area. Describe the area you hunt and we might be able to help you.In a nut shell your going to have to find out what the deer are feeding on instead and go from there.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Come across the border to WV we seem to have a bumper crop this year.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, at our place in WV we have a good bit of acorns...here in PA looks good too.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

First time in a long time that the acorns look to be plentiful in WV at least in Wirt Co. where I hunt.

In years past I always had success hunting the edge of fields,or thickets.When the acorn crop is low the deer seemed to stay in the fields longer.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year we had such a large crop of acorns where we hunt it made for a slow season. A couple of the spots i hunted, you couldnt take a step without stepping on 10-15 acorns. Cause of this, the deer didnt have to move much at all and the season was alittle slower than normal, IMO. This year doesnt seem to be as bad, so time will tell.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:33 PM

If you ask me, that's an ideal situation to be in. Find the white oak that IS dropping acorns, set up downwind, and let it eat! Last year was extremely tough for just the opposite reason. W/ sooooooomany acorns around the deer weren't concentrated.......at all.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year in IL was an enourmous Acorn crop.. Deer probably didn't have to leave the hardwoods to eat if they didn't want to..

When the Acorns are low though look to the plowed corn fields, grasses, and ponds. Set up between a feeding area and the bedding area, if ya can find it.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

we dont have acorns here also!!! Is there somewhere i can buy them so i can put them on the ground so more trees can grow, not to attract deer?
Old 08-21-2006, 06:32 PM
Dominant Buck

YUP, too many can be a bad thing. They can eat almost anywhere. I'd rather find 1 tree producing well than every tree dropping them.

Quick Reply: Low Acorn Crop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.