Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 World Hunting Association Format Change >

World Hunting Association Format Change

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

World Hunting Association Format Change

Old 08-21-2006, 09:06 AM

Default World Hunting Association Format Change

I just got this press Release -
Also found an article on the local paper -

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060821/SPORTS07/608210310/1004/SPORTS

WORLD HUNTING ASSOCIATION TO SWITCH FORMAT
DETROIT, Mich. (August 21, 2006) – The World Hunting Association today announced that the organization will shift to a traditional harvest format in time for the organization’s inaugural tournament this fall. The announcement was made by World Hunting Association commissioner David Farbman.

“Over the past two months, we have met one-on-one with fellow hunters, major hunters’ rights organizations, industry leaders and top outdoor journalists from all over the country to gain their perspectives. Consistently, their major concerns centered on the proposed use of non-fatal darting,” said Farbman. The WHA is committed to growing the sport of hunting and increasing participation among youth, women and minority groups. We regret that the darting format upset other individuals with those same goals,” said Farbman. “The WHA is made up of longtime hunters who are incredibly passionate about the sport. Everyone associated with WHA wants what is best for hunting. We feel confident we are now on the right path.”

The organization has also altered the competition’s prize money structure, eliminating a bounty level system, and offering awards based on a more general point system. The first tournaments in 2006 will be held at Lost Arrow Ranch in Gladwin, Michigan. The use of the 1,000 acre preserve for the tournaments not only allows for a controlled competition, it also insures that the tournaments will not adversely impact wild game populations or infringe upon hunting opportunities on public and private land for regularly licensed hunters.

The World Hunting Association is committed to education and elevating awareness of hunting via its interactive Web site and televised tour events, offering fans an opportunity to step inside the lives of eight diverse professional hunters from across the United States. Individual hunting strategies, techniques, and skill sets will all be showcased. A key goal of the organization is to recruit and retain more youth, women, minorities and non-hunters into the sport and reverse a two decade-long decline in hunting.

The hunting tour will feature 12-day tournaments during which the pro hunters can take up to six deer—four does, one management buck and one trophy buck. Certain bucks that are featured and studied on the internet portal (www.worldhunt.com) will not be eligible for harvest during competition, but the hunters can gain bonus points for bringing the deer into effective range and capturing the footage on camera. A bow, rifle and a muzzle loader will be used over the course of the tournament: At least one deer must be taken with each of the three throughout a competition.

Set to launch in mid-September, the official interactive domain (www.worldhunt.com) replaces the organization’s temporary website. The new online experience boasts numerous high-tech multimedia features unlike anything else offered within the hunting community -- making the thrill and tradition of hunting accessible to everyone across the globe. The user-friendly site provides hours of streaming footage of the tournaments, exciting interactive games and other innovative features.

About the World Hunting Association
The World Hunting Association™ (WHA) is a global competitive sporting establishment dedicated to organizing and promoting the sport of hunting and conservation and growing youth and non-hunter participation. The World Hunting Association includes a ground-breaking, professional, competitive hunting tour, spotlighting professional tour hunters from all over the United States who will compete with cameras present at all times. WHA will incorporate several patent-pending technologies that will enhance the viewer experience. More information about the World Hunting Association is available at www.worldhunt.com.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: World Hunting Association Format Change

I'll be the first to point it out....

So they changed the format and did away with the biggest of many ills with this concept... they're still not kosher... not by a long shot.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

The WHA is made up of longtime hunters who are incredibly passionate about the sport. Everyone associated with WHA wants what is best for hunting.
So where were these long time hunters who were passionate about the sport when the nonfatal drugs were to be used...they were'nt voice their opinion against that. These "hunters" are nothing more than puppets for Farbman...

Still NO RESPECT!...too little, too late. If it were not for the TRUE sportsmen and women in this country who truly are caring about our heritage and sport, they wouldn't have turned tail, industry leaders wouldn't have spoke out against the WHA...I am truly impressed with my fellow hunters, for the most part.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:05 AM

Thankthe lord they issued this. I feel much better now. You might as well just erase all the negative commentary from this site.

But seriously, one observation. Why all the backpedaling? It seems like various techniques/formats/rules change constantly for the WHA. Seems pretty disorganized to me and a hallmark of an organization doomed for failure. The right way would have been to go about this seeking the input of hunters, industry experts, and sponsors/hunting companies BEFOREHAND.

Not saying that many more people would have agreed with hunting as a competitive sport anyway the WHA slices it, but at least they would have been able to conduct this whole process with a little more dignity.

And another thing, the reason for the fenced-in hunts I've been reading time and time again has been that its needed for the safety of the animals who were being darted. Now that there's no darting and that the animal goes down for good, why the need for fences?

Better yet, why not scrap this whole WHA competition thing altogether and do a show or event hunters might acutally want to watch. Do you think most people (especially non-hunters you are trying to recruit intoto the sport) want to watch you shoot a cow in a fenced in pasture? Then why would they want to watch you shoot a deer in a fenced in pasture?

Seems like the WHA has massive resources. Why not give "average" hunters instead of "professionals" $5,000 - $10,000 to conduct a dream hunt and go along with them and film the whole thing. The WHA is so interested in growing the sport, then give a father and son (or daughter) the ability to go to Alaska to take a trophy bull moose, etc. I betcha many more hunters would be more interested in this version of reality tv. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper to produce and the emotional/financial payoff would probably be much greater for everyone. Puzzles me why the WHA insists on clinging onto its original idea.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Translation.........

They found out darting was going to be deemed.....illegal.

Jeff
Old 08-21-2006, 01:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

Translation.........

They found out darting was going to be deemed.....illegal.

Jeff
Jeff, that is probably exactly right!
Old 08-21-2006, 01:49 PM

ORIGINAL: chucker34
Seems like the WHA has massive resources. Why not give "average" hunters instead of "professionals" $5,000 - $10,000 to conduct a dream hunt and go along with them and film the whole thing. The WHA is so interested in growing the sport, then give a father and son (or daughter) the ability to go to Alaska to take a trophy bull moose, etc. I betcha many more hunters would be more interested in this version of reality tv. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper to produce and the emotional/financial payoff would probably be much greater for everyone. Puzzles me why the WHA insists on clinging onto its original idea.
I would LOVE to see a show like this!!! What a great idea! And, you're right, since they seem to have bottomless pockets, why not do something that actually has a chance at succeeding?
Old 08-21-2006, 01:57 PM

"I would LOVE to see a show like this!!! What a great idea! And, you're right, since they seem to have bottomless pockets, why not do something that actually has a chance at succeeding? "

Exactly. Think of how many of these family dream hunts they could conduct for the $500,000 in prize money they are planning on offering. They'd have enough shows taped for several seasons.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:29 PM

I was on the fence with the WHA, but now they have switched formats...

I think the WHA is a fresh idea
Old 08-21-2006, 02:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: chucker34

"I would LOVE to see a show like this!!! What a great idea! And, you're right, since they seem to have bottomless pockets, why not do something that actually has a chance at succeeding? "

Exactly. Think of how many of these family dream hunts they could conduct for the $500,000 in prize money they are planning on offering. They'd have enough shows taped for several seasons.
You have to remember, this has nothing to do with helping hunting, showing hunters i a good light, etc....It's all about Farbman and his attempt at stardom and making more money back to his pockets. Don't be fooled by their turnabout, it's still degrading.

Quick Reply: World Hunting Association Format Change

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.