Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Red LEDs?

Old 08-19-2006, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Red LEDs?

Do red LED's spook game? Who uses them for the walk in and stand set-up and are they worth it? I just bought a dual flashlight for about $30. very bright white LEDs and one red one. I'm wondering if I should keep it or research a little more and get something different. What do you all use?
Old 08-19-2006, 08:34 PM

Default RE: Red LEDs?

I use a red LED headlamp. Does it spook game...Dunno, never seen one on the way in......[8D][&:][&:] [&o]

They are, however, invaluable while climbing your tree in the dark.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

According to most research that I have seen, red LED as well as Green LED are better than white light however, deer don't have the depth perseption that can tell how far a light is away but flee more from the noise associated with the light.

Think about looking at a light in the distances, even we as humans can't judge a single lights distance.

Any light is better than no light unless your wearing safety goggles.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

I use a red LED headlamp. Does it spook game...Dunno, never seen one on the way in......[8D][&:][&:] [&o]

They are, however, invaluable while climbing your tree in the dark.
I concur...

Also, I conducted my own little experiment last year. Had a couple of does bed down under my stand. I also have a headlamp that MoBow speaks of and shined all three lights (halogen, white, and red) and they didn't even seem to notice. I eventually had to throw and arrow down to get them to move. As I was leaving, they were standing less than 20 yards away staring.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have one that I use to get in and out. I don't know if it spooks game or not. I taped a short piece of 1/2" PVC pipe over the end of the flashlight so the beam is very directional. I had a buddy walk off in the woods with it and I lost him in just a few steps. The pipe lets me light up the path without a bunch of light escaping. The only problem is I walk into a lot of spiderwebs since I'm only lighting the ground. I hate spiderwebs. BTW, I clear branches off my trails while scouting, setting stands, cutting lanes, etc so no problem with a stick in the eye.