Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 WHA ARTICLE IN OUTDOOR LIFE >

WHA ARTICLE IN OUTDOOR LIFE

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WHA ARTICLE IN OUTDOOR LIFE

Old 08-25-2006, 02:25 PM

Default RE: WHA ARTICLE IN OUTDOOR LIFE

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

Hey guys.....I agree that our sport is sort of a sanctuary. Maybe we don't want our life's passion to be treated like other sports. Maybe.

But.....playing devil's advocate.....

There's likely people who feel JUST as passionately about the sport of football.....as we do about ours. If you treat "hunting" like a "sport"......then what's the difference if you have cheerleaders or not? Crowds?? Glamour????

"I" (now, me personally) think the problem "I" have is that I don't view hunting as a "sport". It's MUCH deeper/more spiritual/more lifestyle than that, for "Me". In that regard (and in that regard, only)....do I have a problem with what Farbman's doing. There's likely a LOT of people that aren't into hunting.....that may want to try it after seeing this show (remember all the golfers that Tiger inspired??????). Do we want all of them in our "sport"? I can' tanswer that one for you.

Just a different way to look at it.

Jeff
Hunting is NOT a sport. Period. It is not glamorous (where is the glamour in getting up before the b*tt crack of dawn and freezing important parts off?). There are no cheerleaders. And I, for one, don't want to be in the woods with someone who starts hunting for the glamour and the cheerleaders because they will get bored with the reality of hunting fast. Do you really want a bored ARMED person who may or may not be responsible enough to have paid attention in hunter's ed. out in the woods when you are hunting? What happens when they are fast off the draw so to speak and end up shooting someone because they were bored and it sounded like a deer? Don't say this couldn't happen because my friend (actually, my dad's best friend and my second dad) has been in a wheel chair, paralyzed from the neck down, for 33 years because HIS friend/hunting buddy was bored and thought my friend was a deer. And his best friend had grown up hunting! Imagine someone who goes into it looking for glamour and excitement and cheerleaders ...

I understand you want to be openminded and see the other side of the argument. Personally the other side of the argument ends abruptly for me when hunting is compared to football and it is suggested that women in skimpy clothes are needed.

Shannon
Old 08-25-2006, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: WHA ARTICLE IN OUTDOOR LIFE

WHA seems to keepinsisting that they will bring new hunters to the "sport"[:@]. Well lets think about this for a minute. Just what kind of person do you all feel will be recruited(sp) by WHA? Well, I'll tell you. Were going to end up with a bunch of the hip-hop sort of crowd. Sold on the prizes and cheerleaders, yeah all the glitz and glam. These will be the worst type of "hunters". They won't know their firearms safety, complete lack of traditional hunting values, and only be in it for the biggest buck.I totally agree with the pro wrestling analogy posted above>