HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   New World Hunting Association Website (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/152033-new-world-hunting-association-website.html)

JeremiahJohnson 08-16-2006 07:02 AM

RE: New World Hunting Association Website

By BASS format, that means certain areas are for certain hunters on a given day, then they rotate on subsequent days. The BASS fishermen do the same thing with fishing holes.

As for high-fence, it is what it is. On a very large ranch some animals never see a fence. On very small ones the herd can not be sustained in natural ways so animals are trucked in. I'd say most you see on television are large enough the herds are self-sustaining. I've hunted on archery-only ranches and had my butt kicked by elusive and hard-to-hunt exotics. In fact, I hunted an archery-only ranch in Texas back in may with 7 other seasoned hunters and we took - as a group - ZERO exotics for the 4-day hunt. All high fence is not the same. The 777 ranch down the road basically ties them up for you - that was not my experience where we hunted. I seriously doubt the ranches these guys hunt will be penned animals because there must be some degree of difficulty else everyone would tie.

Dr Andy 08-16-2006 07:18 AM

At least in BASS they're fishing "fair chase" and not in a heavily stocked pay-per pound pond!

JeremiahJohnson 08-16-2006 07:49 AM

No, actually it's a good analogy. A large enough ranch is like a lake - large and the fish can't get away. The fish are self-sustaining - no stocking, just like a large ranch is self-sustaining with no stocking. Actually the model fits quite well.

Those poor fish don't stand a chance in that tiny little lake - LOL.

Ever hunt a 40,000 acre ranch with a fence around it? Try it if your ego can handle it.

Nix 08-16-2006 08:40 AM

Most will argue that high fences are to control whats on the outside, not whats on the inside....

As for the WHA, DruryBros,or any other hunting competition; I think that its best they stay in fences and not infringe upon hunting opportunities on public and private lands or the quality of hunting by regularly licensed hunters....I mean seriously, I would be pissed if some competition was being held on a property that bordered my hunting spots.

GMMAT 08-16-2006 08:57 AM

Here's what I'd like to know......

Are we going to see some HIGHLY unethical shots/behavior......due to the fact that $$ are involved?

And......with prizes (money/fame/etc...) on the line....what's so different than what the Drury boys are doing (other than the fair-chase issue)?

Jeff

Just wondering....

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-16-2006 09:10 AM

ORIGINAL: Nix

Most will argue that high fences are to control whats on the outside, not whats on the inside....
That is an excuse. The reality IS that fences are to hold animals from leaving the property and being shot by someone else...plain and simple....

JMonsterZUMBO 08-16-2006 09:36 AM

at least they wont get ran over by your car

Davoh 08-16-2006 12:38 PM

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers
And......with prizes (money/fame/etc...) on the line....what's so different than what the Drury boys are doing (other than the fair-chase issue)?
The difference lies in the fact that on Dream Season, the winner is decided by viewers votes ala American Idol. Basically, which team did the viewers enjoy watching most, ie who makes the best videos/story. Actually a pretty good litmus test for who will be better on your videos.... and a better representation and presentation of why we hunt. (the stories, the experience, the comeraderie, etc etc..)

WHA is based solely on size of trophy. Still by far NOT the message we need to be using to attract new hunters... Hunting Ethics is not to be used as some PR Dogma.Ethics needs to be fundamentally taught as a foundation upon which all things, not just hunting, are based. That's where alothas beenlost in our society in general. The WHA is just a resulting disease of that genetic mutation.

As far as the high fence issue.... If I'm fishing in a land locked lake like Lake Sam Rayborn in east TX (114, 500 acres of water), am I gauranteed to catch a fish? (Granted I catch fish there more often than not)... Since the fish only have so far to run before they reach land....... Just because it's high fence doesn't mean its canned, but doesnt mean it's easy or hard either... Our place is 1700 acres low fenced in the Tx hillcoutry. Very very rarely does anyone in our family go without venison because they didn't see a deer. If so it's because they chose not to shoot. If we fed minerals and food plots and got really strict on management we could probably have some really nice deer, but we're still low-fenced... so we must be ethical right? Guys, high-fence or lowfence either one can be unethical depending on how it is hunted and managed. Just because it is high-fenced...... there are loads of other circumstances is all I'm trying to say.....

GMMAT 08-16-2006 12:48 PM

The difference lies in the fact that on Dream Season, the winner is decided by viewers votes ala American Idol. Basically, which team did the viewers enjoy watching most, ie who makes the best videos/story. Actually a pretty good litmus test for who will be better on your videos.... and a better representation and presentation of why we hunt. (the stories, the experience, the comeraderie, etc etc..)
When did they begin this practice? It wasn't this way, last season.

Jeff

Nix 08-16-2006 12:52 PM

Davoh - you are right, totally depends on the operation.

High fence, Low fence, or No fence...

Being a Texas boy, you probably know better than anyone that fences are not all that bad on the right ranch run by the right ranchers