Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 im getting nervous! >

im getting nervous!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

im getting nervous!

Old 08-15-2006, 09:56 AM

Default im getting nervous!

As the opening day gets closer, I am beginning to worry that Im going to get nervous shooting my first deer. I don't want to miss!! How can I prepare myself for getting shaky? Anything that you guys do that helps?
Old 08-15-2006, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: im getting nervous!

nothing thats the joys of hunting sweetheart. Its the greatest feeling in the world to have a nice buck or doe under yourstand and you draw back and the shakes kick in. The feeling is the greatest feeling the world.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not worth hanging from a tree if you don't get that feeling. Breath, pick a spot, pay attention to your anchor and squeeze !
Old 08-15-2006, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

You wouldn''t want to hunt if you didn't get like that. It is what it's all about.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

Getting nervous is part of it. After hunting for 16 years I still get nervous shooting any kind of deer. When I have a deer coming that I know Im going to shoot I instantly start talking to my self and go through my head on what I need to do. For example: "Don't peak, ease off the trigger, figure out the yardage, picking the right time to draw." I just keep concentrating on what I need to do until it happens. Sometimes you won'teven remember the shot becauseyour concentrating so hard.So thinking about what Ineed to do and concentrating helps me get rid of the nerves.

Hope that helps....good luck!
Old 08-15-2006, 10:26 AM

thanks for the advice...I guess I'll have to experience this exciting nervous feeling for myself, I don't quite know what thats like yet. i just hope i dont choke and miss!
Old 08-15-2006, 11:20 AM

Yeah, it is an excellent feeling. I get it everytime I see a deer when I'm hunting. And it magnifies itself once you decide to shoot. just breath, remember your achor points, and remember to aim at a spot on the deer not just at the deer. You'll do fine, and after the shot you realize why we are all addicted to this sport.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Saberbabe,

TscHammel, raised good points- its good to follow a preshot routine. A good way to deal with the heavy breathing and shakes is to go run a few laps, get your breathing labored then take a pratice shot. Make the situation as real as possible, make your one and only shot count. I usually do this after i spend several weeks getting sighted in, then i repeat this anywhere from 6-12 times a night.

Jerry
Old 08-15-2006, 11:47 AM

saberbabe.....if you get the opportunity to take a doe....do it. Once you get past getting your first deer with a bow, it seems to be a little less nerve racking. You WILL get the shakes.....that's part of the fun of bow hunting. Hopefully it will be after the shot.
Hunt safe, Diann
Old 08-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yup, you'll be nervous, At the age of 39, this Nov is my 40th and I've been carrying a bow to the woods for over 20 years and I too still get nervous...when the draw comes I calm, use my experience in 3D and mentally prepare to get the job done, after the shot, I come unglued and shake like a leaf.....It's all part of the love I have for bowhunting.

Quick Reply: im getting nervous!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.