Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Passed Shots...

Old 08-11-2006, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default Passed Shots...

OK here's a good question... How many shots at Bucks (not does) do you pass on an average year... Guesstimate... AND... Have you ever regretted one later...

This will be hard to guess, but I would have to say at least 10-15 small bucks pass by within range in a given year... And I may semi-regret only 1, a 9 pointer I passed on opening day of gun season... But as long as he made it through that season I have no regrets...
Old 08-11-2006, 07:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Passed Shots...

I pass on everything under huge until the end of the season. Tons of bucks usually where I hunt except for last year. Didn't see many and never saw a huge one which was frustrating. Do to the contest if I see anything decent this year early I may drop one to relieve some preasure.

For the one I now regret a little, was a 14 point. He had a huge right beam and his left beam was only 2/3 rds the size. I had 3 other big 8 points all around me but the one I wanted was a huge 10 point up near the golf course. That darn deer just keep running up and down the course about25 yrds in the woods. I was about 150 yrds down in the bottom known to a few of us as Buck Hollow. I look back and think about how nice the mount might have been.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

My guess would be close to at least 10 small buck's ,I'm holding out for the big guy like i do every year.I'm just pl;ain stuborn when it come's to taking a small buck. I've regreted not shooting at least 1 or 2 buck's a season .

nubo
Old 08-11-2006, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I passed on 2 nice 9 pointers in velvet last year on openning day because It was getting dark and I couldnt tell if they were 2.5 or 3.5 years old. The matched pretty closely and were high 110-low 120 class deer. I regretted passing them for 2 months until I killed a big 3.5 year old 10 point in Nov.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I passed 17 bucks last year, thought I regretted one until I finally connected with the "big one". I pass on all does on our farms because I am trying to get the population up while still making sure the land can more than support it. I have been using "management" techniques for about 5-6 years now and it is finally starting to pay big dividends for the health of the herd as well as my personal enjoyment. We used to see deer about every 3 times out, but now it is about every time out and that sure makes the hunting more enjoyable. I don't have to get one, but I do love watching them.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:37 AM
Dominant Buck

I saw probably 15-18 bucks in all of my hunting, last year.

I took no shots at bucks.

Did I "pass" on them? (I hunted only with the bow) ??? Let's just say this......just because I didn't take a shot at them......that doesn't mean I "passed" on them. Seeing a buck and being able to draw down on that same buck.....is two different things.

This is MY opinion.

Jeff
Old 08-11-2006, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

the past 3 years I've passed on 8-9 bucks each year.I think one thing that helps understand "passing" is people's criteria for counting a pass. I know guys who if they saw the buck and didn't shoot they "passed" on it. Even though they were never presented with a shot. To me, passing means you have a stopped, open shot at a deer within your max shooting distance.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

Yes I agree Rybo... We are not counting Bucks you "Saw" cruising by at 100+ Yards...
Old 08-11-2006, 07:44 AM

i hunt big woods literaly 10000 acers with probley 5 other guys from our camp ratio is about .5deer per sq mile if that so you see a buck your lucks past 2 yrs havent seen a deer in 2 full weeks of hunting each year but for the 2 yrs befor that ive seen 2 bucks that were 10pnts and 14pnts one woudl score probley 170 and the other was pushing 200 i aint lying lol big boys the 10pnter was probley 200lbs the 14 was abotut he same big ol boys in woods that big they can grow big but if you see a buck your shooting lol
Old 08-11-2006, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ummmm zero.

Here in NH, we can take 1 deer with a bow and seeing a deer in bow range for many makes it a good year. I have started passign on small doe/buttons, and did twice last year, only to end up with an unfilled tag.

I'd love to hunt where you actually can expect to SEE deer every time in the woods!

Quick Reply: Passed Shots...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.