Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Broadhead practice >

Broadhead practice

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead practice

Old 08-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Broadhead practice

We all need to practice with our broadheads. How often does everybody do it? I heard one guysay heswitched to broadheads-only a month before opening day. Is that about what everyone else does? I know I need practice with them, but I get tired of slicing vanes off arrows and having to refletch all the time.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:16 AM

Default RE: Broadhead practice

I don't know what everyone else does, but I usually switch about two weeks before the hunt!
Old 08-11-2006, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I switch about months prior to the opener. I also shoot at different spots on my BH target so I don't damage arrows. I also practice with them several times through the year since I hog hunt year round.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:28 AM
Dominant Buck

I also shoot at different spots on my BH target so I don't damage arrows.
There's your key.

I shoot 3 arrows at a time.....to different spots on the BH target. If we shoot a 3D target....we only shoot it once.

Jeff

Don't like cutting arrows......
Old 08-11-2006, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I alternate between field tips and broadheads. Plus I rotate my Block 4X4 around so I don't destroy one side of it all the time.

I got my Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts grouping right with my field tips, so I'm ready to go! [8D]

Old 08-11-2006, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tune my bow with broadheads about a month before the season openerand thengo back to shooting field points while mixing in an occasional broadhead groupjust to insure everything is in check. That last week before opening day it's nothing but broadheads and i shoot them everyday. Works for me!
Old 08-11-2006, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

I have been pretty luck our local Sportsmans Club has a broadhead league every year. Card board deer, beer, antelope targets set up with a sand berm behind for an arrow stop. Targets are set from 20 yds to almost 40 yds. I shoot this for 8 weeks every year. We usually field a 4 man team (all hunting buddies) if you don't shoot the course you don't hunt with us, spent to many nights crawling around the woods looking for poorly hit animals from guys that didn't practice enough or that were great 3-D shooters but didn't practicewith their broadheads.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:40 AM
Spike

I have three practice heads put off to the side. When I go up the tree I bring them and shoot them throughout the season.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot field points all year and about a month before season I'll check my broadheads and make sure nothing has changed and then put them away and then again a couple days before the season I'll check them again. I then change the blades (Thunderheads 100) and hunt with them. A properly tuned bow should shoot field points and broadheads the same so save your broadheads and shoot field points after you make sure that they are hitting fine.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll switch two weeks before my season starts in Oct., but when I do I'll use a diffrent target.
I don't want destroy my new GlenDel 3D buck just yet and I'll shoot at diffrent spots because I don't like refletching arrows ether.

Quick Reply: Broadhead practice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.